SBC or LS1 and Average Cost of LS Swap?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by sandiego74, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

No debate - the LSx engines are superior to the Gen 1's in every way. But for a guy who's on a budget and lacks mechanical experience, it's not a good path.
    Once he buys his house than we start talking about the LT2 swap :D

biker, BonzoHansen and sandiego74 like this.
  2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here’s a a solid question I keep forgetting to ask. With the 91 octane we have here in CA, am I okay to run compression in the 10’s, or should I stay in the 9’s?

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My Shafiroff 427sbc has 10.5:1 comp and runs 91octane with no issues

sandiego74 likes this.
  4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd keep it below 10.5-1 in general.
    If you are running Iron heads and a smallish cam (<[email protected]) I'd keep it sub 10-1

5. sandiego74

Im definitely going to be using aluminum heads, so not THAT budget. I saw Blueprint has a 383 with 10.6:1. Too high?

I’ll call ARCE when I get a chance to ask them about options.

6. Lowend

My 383 was 10.6-1 with a 232/242 cam and had some issues with 91 octane, so yeah too high unless you're going to run EFI.
    You could set the motor up for E85 which comes out of the pump at 105 octane and is cheaper than 87, but there's other stuff that comes in there

sandiego74 likes this.
  7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Also check out Shafiroff racing engines they build very nice engines . Their 402 and 427sbc shortblocks start at just under $4800 and they have many build options and packages

My 427sbc shortblock after all the build options / packages was just under $9k , this shortblock is basically bulletproof . This time of year they have awesome discounts/ sale going on which can save you alot of $$$$

https://www.shafiroff.com/chevy-pump-gas-short-block/427-short-block-street.php

This the 427sbc shortblock i had built by them

20200331_152533.jpg 20200331_152634.jpg

sandiego74 likes this.
  8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Not to get too deep on you here, but I've learned over many years to step back and have a look at my motivations when I find myself getting too fixated on wanting something. Now I try to teach my kids that.
    LS: awesome motor. I want one. When I weighed all the variables in my life, family, time, other financial obligations, a strong, leak free 383 met my end goal of wanting a street car for long trips and also 6000rpm rips through the gears, scary top end and good behaviour. Realistically, I would have to build most of an LS myself to afford what I want, and despite 30 years of building and learning on small blocks, I'm still learning with those and just barely feel qualified to build a solid, reliable small block. Measuring, cleaning, test fitting are a huge draw on time.
    Which brings me to your desire to finish off a short block. Fine if you have some practice on cheap old stock engines. But if you spend good money on a short block, dont finish it yourself as a first dive into engines. The things that seem simplest will bite you. Parts just dont fall together like youtube. Pushrod length, guideplate setup, recognizing problems with valve seat sealing, valve seals, checking spring pressures, installed heights, coil bind, how the rockers track on the valve stem tip. All of those things munch away at time, patience and money, and to have something fail because you didnt know, or to learn after its together and have that question mark in your head is no fun.
    Find the right builder, decide on a configuration, pull the trigger and keep your hobby in balance with the rest of your priorities. I wouldn't go 377 or 400 without using a Dart block. 350 or 383 gets you a 1 piece rms block, factory roller setup, 4 bolt mains and mech fuel pump if needed. Lots of value there.

Lonesomeloser, Grump, Z-Life and 7 others like this.
  9. sandiego74

Probably the most sage advice I’ve heard yet. Thank you, my friend, for this. No matter what I end up with, it’ll be double the power I have now, so I know that’ll make me happy, at least.

Grump and unrestored72Z like this.
  10. biker

biker Veteran Member

No problem! Been there...still there, no matter what project I undertake. I find at the end of the day, the less I spend on something and still achieve a reasonable goal, the less it stands to negatively impact the balance of everything else. In fact, it feels way better. Especially considering if something catastrophic and unforeseen happens (as it can with anything), it doesnt hurt as much.

Lonesomeloser, Grump, Tony65 and 5 others like this.