SBC spark plug looms..

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by mjoc, Apr 1, 2020.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

SO I am working on a new ZZ6 EFI motor. I have block hugger headers on it and I want to use either under the header spark plug looms (preferrably some thing a little better then the moroso units) or I want to run them beside the valve covers like they do in this photo.
    https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/19368150_1000x778.jpg but hopefully some thing a little higher quality..
    I am having a hell of a time trying to find what Im looking for thru google

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

I have this set that runs beside/behind the valve covers, and they look really good once you have everything sorted out. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-42520

If you can get the exact same thing but in aluminum, that's the only thing I would change. These work fine and are good quality, but I would prefer aluminum. The only issue I had (no fault of the looms) is finding a set of spark plug wires that have 2 wires long enough to get to numbers 1 and 2 cylinders. I bought 2 sets just to get a second long wire to reach number 2 cylinder. Oh well, lots of spares now.

3. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Do those bolt to the side of the head or do the bolt to the valve cover?

4. flint9

flint9 Veteran Member

what about looms for newer heads center bolt?

5. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Dont want to cover up the beautiful black valve covers with the chevrolet script on it........ would really like to use the screw holes location on the side of the head above the header flange to run the wires along the side of the valve cover..
    and then behind the valve cover to the distributor.

If I cant find a way to route under the block hugger headers

6. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

I had/have the same in black but hold the wires vertically versus horizontally. Problem I had was the bolt that goes through the plastic wire holders also holds the valve cover down. The bolt would sink into the plastic wire holders and cause a valve cover leak. So I made some L brackets and mounted them to the plastic wire holders which solved the problem. IMG_20200401_203219243.jpg

7. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

that way wont work the centerbolt valve covers of the zz6 dont have holes on the side

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

FLHT99B is correct. They bolt to the valve cover hold down bolt. I haven't had an issue with leaks or tightening yet, and I cranked them down pretty good. But I do like his bracket idea.

9. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

So those wont work for my application which has center bolt valve covers..

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

You did mention using the other bolt holes in the side of the heads. I don't know if all heads have them, but that might be an option for you. I think they were originally there for spark plug boot heat shields on OEM stuff. I'm sure you can come up with a creative way to use those holes.