SBC woes.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Trashman, Mar 20, 2014.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

don't forget to let him know about the burns he will receive on his arms and face from doing this procedure !!! :eek: :eek:

2. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

You can always buy an oil deflector kits, or cut up a stock set of valve covers to keep from getting oil thrown all over everything. I prefer doing the final lash adjustmentfor hydraulic lifters with the engine running, even though I do the initial adjustment with the motor at TDC for each cylinder. Never had an issue doing it this way. Sounds like you've got the lifters set close enough to run, since you've attempted several times now. It could be that your distributor is a tooth off, or even 180 off at this point. I recommend that you find #1 TDC, make sure both intake and exhaust are fully closed, and look at your distributor rotor. Is it pointing at the #1 distributor cap post? If it is and you have to overly advance your distributor to get it to run, then your a tooth off on your distributor and the timing is excessively retarded.

3. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Little update, Cam was off. I lined the dot on the cam sprocket with the "0" on the crank keyway instead of the "0" on the gear. Now hopefully this pan doesnt leak when I run her sunday.

4. middleagecrisis

"0" on the crank? Are you talking about the keyway on the crank? Your supposed to line up your marks on the cam gear and crank gear, as in cam gear mark at 6 o'clock and crank gear mark (0) at 12 o'clock. Look at this thread and illustration:
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/276023/
    Did you ever verify your distributor rotor was pointing at #1 terminal on the cap, when the motor was at #1 TDC and the balancer tab on zero?

5. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Yep, that was what was wrong. intank was opening 30 degrees to early. And yes the rotor and dizzy are/were correct. Runs great now!

6. middleagecrisis

Glad to hear you got your motor running correctly. Now get out there and enjoy it!