Scammers got me

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by MotionClone, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

GAWD DAMNIT!!

I was just looking my bank account online and found a $200.00 charge from my debit account to a local Lowes store. I KNOW I dont shop at Lowes so I called the store and had them do a little research. Turns out somebody went to the store on 4/15 and bought a $200 gift card with my debit card...EXCEPT my debit card is always in my wallet.

Ready to crack some skulls but for now I got a call into my bank, will have to wait and see what they say tomorrow.

Happen to anyone else?

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your bank will handle it. Do you use your debit card online? I only use a credit card online so at least doesn't drain my account if it gets compromised. Almost impossible to protect everything all the time

Que the guys claiming all they use is cash :screwup:

3. MotionClone

I do use online so not sure how exactly ive been compromised but whats weird is that a person went into a store about 30 miles from me and used my card... but I have my card..lol

Just doesnt seem like hackers or whatever since its local.

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, happened to me twice. First time someone cloned my debit card and swipped it on a machine at Target in Philadelphia. Don't know how they cloned the card. Bank told me cloned cards are becoming more common, up 400% in past year. Called bank the day after charge hit my account. My bank took details, closed compromised card and reissued a new card. Had money back in my account five days later.

On every card I have now I set up text alerts for purchases over a set amount. I get a text when the card is used. If it's not my purchase I call bank and Immediately file a claim. Also maintain fraud alert on my accounts. Some cards text you to confirm purchase first. These are great!

Second time was a $250 purchase on my credit card number. Got text with details asking if I was making the purchase. Replied NO and credit card company denied the purchase, then issued new card. Nice feature except when I buy something on that card, I insert chip card, wait a few seconds for text, reply Yes, and then machine approves my charge.

My New rules:

- credit cards only for online purchases. I use a card with small limit on it, then pay that off to keep account open for purchases
    - no credit card information given by phone
    - change account passwords often
    - check all accounts daily when possible
    - use a fraud protection system and alerts

Lots of criminals out there.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. MotionClone

So the bank will do everything? So I dont need to call the cops or anything? Im thinking im going to have my debit card shut off right away I assume? That sucks while I wait for a new one in the mail..lol I spend a lot per day.

6. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Credit card skimmer on a gas pump, grocery store, ATM, etc. happened to my cousin locally as well.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I lost my Master Card a few months ago.
    Called them up and they had a new card to my door less than 24 hours later.

8. MotionClone

So what happens if my card was in a skimmer? They make a fake card?

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

When your card was used... They were nearby and captured the transferred info in order to make a copy of your card.

10. MotionClone

The lady I talked to at Lowes said the gift card they bought has a serial number that will now be tagged with the loss management people. So I assume if someone uses that gift card, they will reject the card or tell the cashier to call the cops? how does that work?