Scammers got me

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by MotionClone, Apr 19, 2017.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm guessing there are credit card scanners out there that plug into your iPhone and allow the waitress to quickly take the card info off the card to be sold later.

I only use credit cards online or locally. No debit. PLUS, you get 1.5% cash back from the CC. That adds up. I pay off every month, sometimes sooner, so I pay nothing to use the card...it's a real convenience over carrying cash.

Now my story...went into Best Buy today to buy some appliances for the upcoming new home. Declined. WTF? The clerk calls CC services at Citi and they say I closed the account via an online chat on April 10th! AN ONLINE CHAT??? WTF! I talked with their support center and they are investigating it. I would LOVE to see the IP the chat came from! So I now have a closed Best Buy Citi card until they finalize their investigation. I mean, I only got it to save 10% on the large purchase, then I throw it in a box and don't use it again.

Can you believe the crap some people do for kicks???

2. 2nd gen Guy

2nd gen Guy Veteran Member

Yrs ago my wallet was stolen, A**hole bought a set of tires, some liquor and then I watched a video of him buying gas at a station at like 2am. Called my local PD and they said they wouldn't pursue charges b cuz credit companies would rather write it off than go to court. People like that will never produce any real restitution if caught.
    On the bright side, I got a bill from a cell phone company a month later, seems the A**hole got a phone in my name too so I got a copy of the bill and looked it over. He was a crack or methhead who was awake WAYYYY more than asleep and would make 1 to 3 minute phone calls, so I called him. I lit into him and told him that he better hope the cops find him b4 I do, I'm guessing he looked over his shoulder for a while LOL

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

You need to research Wells Fargo. After the recent shenanigans they pulled on their customers, I'm amazed anyone would consider staying with them at all.

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That was definitely worrisome what they did but I have had nothing but good service from them so for now will keep using them but will definitely keep my eye on things.

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, this is resolved and I was way off.

Apparently, I opened a chat to ask one question about a 24 months financing offer. I then exited, and the agent, chatting with multiple people, closed my account instead of another one he was chatting with!

All good now.

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

I had an interesting one a couple of months ago. I started getting a phone call every day, each time leaving a voicemail cryptically saying "Hi this is X business, we'd like to talk about your recent order." I looked them up, they are a legit business, but I figured somebody just used my phone number accidentally. Well on the third day they used my name, so I finally called them back. The guy explained that he was glad I called. Apparently the scammers had got my CC#, phone, and address. They went to this store's website (selling very high $$ vacuum cleaners) and ordered a $2000 vacuum. Apparently the scam is that they order something like this, and have it shipped to MY ADDRESS. Then they hack into UPS and redirect the shipment to a different address half-way along. I guess this particular store deals with this crap daily. The guy said that a vast majority of orders over $500 are fraudulent, so now they call every time. He tried to work with UPS on the issue, but they apparently told him it was his problem. Crazy crazy stuff. I thanked him for calling though, as it flagged the incorrect purchases. He then refunded the money and I had the bank get me a new card. I'm not too happy these freaks have my phone and address, but at this point I have no idea what they could do with it.

Makes you want to punch something doesn't it?

FlaJunkie likes this.
  7. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

So common these days it sucks. One thing I have noticed. Watch your statements EVERYDAY. Why? Because I have been hit with fraud several times and this is what I noticed. Watch for a small charge sometimes as small as $1.00 that is unauthorized. Most people would think it is some type of fee, what bank security told me, "This is a in essence a probe, they see if the fee goes through then the card gets hit". Sometimes it's a bill of $20.00 or more, same thing. I have 2 Visas and 1 Mastercard. 1 Visa as the primary card and 2 back ups that are never used until shut off because of fraud.

The primary card has been shut off with ZERO notice because I was on a road trip and tried to fill an RV with with 100 gallons of fuel and groceries. Topped off the tank then got declined at the supermarket, no text, no email, no phone. Called and they suspected fraud. I would have been up poop creek if I didnt have a secondary and other back up cards.

8. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Update:
    Bank deposited back the money into my account so thats good but a major hassle using a visa gift card while I wait for my replacement debit card. Could have been worse though I suppose.