Scams - Classic Cars For Sale Sites

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by Smokin'Joe, Jan 16, 2019.

1. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

I found an ad last year that used a picture of my car which was not for sale at any time.
    I'm pretty sure I screen-cap'd the ad. I'll check when I get home later and post it if I can find it.

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

3. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

You should never, ever buy a car unless you personally see it and speak directly with the owner. There should never be an air of urgency to complete the sale. If there is any pressure that makes you feel uncomfortable......walk.
    When you go car shopping, leave your emotional side at home. And, if possible, bring a friend who can be critical.
    There's a lot of unscrupulous people that want your money....and will take it without thinking 2x.

BillyDean7173 and Smokey15 like this.
  4. denis123

denis123 New Member

Car scammers are so popular these days...we just need to careful so we won't fall victim.

Smokey15 likes this.
  5. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

The last two posts hit the nail straight on the head. The days of being able to seal a deal with a handshake are gone, but they should not be. The internet scammers make it so the 'handshake', with cash in hand (and an armed friend), is the best way to go. You see the item for sale, deal direct with the seller, pay in person and leave with the item. Just be cautious when carrying cash. I carry and most often the person with me is as well.

Zstar likes this.
  6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Good Advice that I have broken twice in my life - both times it turned out great.

I have sold probably ten cars ( half overseas) where I never met the Buyer. These have made me more nervous.

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

That advice could apply to dating, marriage, etc. :eek:

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

These Fockers should be reported to the Fraud Dept so it’s shut down.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought a couple cars off ebay back in the day, sight unseen other than the pics on the posting. Fortunately for me, the purchases went fairly well with no huge rip-off although both had issues that weren't properly reported in my opinion but I knew that was a possibility from the get go.

10. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

My 1971 Z28 is listed on DP9 Motorsports website in Long Island for sale at $42k. Never talked to them about anything let alone selling my car, they have never returned my calls to remove it from their website. Out and out fraud. I wonder what they would do if someone wanted to see my car as I'm in TN. I wonder if I should contact the local law enforcement agency. Pisses me off. I made the mistake of listing it at one time on one of the Facebook marketplace groups and it appears DP9 took my pictures and ad and put it on their website, at substantially more than I was asking.

Smokey15 likes this.