Scams - Classic Cars For Sale Sites

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by Smokin'Joe, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

My name is richard smithson, I’m currently deployed so have no phone service but you can text me. Car is at my home and......

2. Bobsuffolk

Bobsuffolk New Member

Went to us classifieds 4 all. The first thing which stood out for me is how cheap the prices were for all cars I viewed that I know sell for far more. Suspected something was wrong so I decided to look up reviews and it confirmed the site is a scam. I have no idea how the scammers expect to make money from this. I wouek never buy a classic car sight unseen.

3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

…………….a fool and his money will soon be parted. Too many gullible people.

4. Rosster

Sadly, come across more than one person selling a Z28 that wasn’t. One guy even swears it was a relative and was there when he bought it new. Sorry, 70 Zs don’t have 10 bolts, 7k tachs, turbo 350s and non floor mounted gas pedals. I think he really thought it was. Was kind of awkward to tell him his car isn’t worth anything close to what he is asking....

5. AllGoNoShow

AllGoNoShow Veteran Member

Little off topic, but what do the "legitimate" consignment dealers (who never lay hands on the car) even charge the seller?! I'm amazed it is even a business.

6. Marz

Marz New Member

Yes, this website is a total scam. One of the brokers on here Peter Brander (726.400.0219) from Buffalo Sales LLC (buffalosalesllc.com) rips off many people (check yelp). Says he selling for a customer named Darren Mullins. (716.313.2079) Has no cars, and disappears as soon as transaction is made.

Attached Files:

7. Marz

Marz New Member

Trovit cars and usclassifieds are scam sights. Saw one car on three websites asking $129K, $80K and $42k. Same car, same photos, same verbiage. Check yelp on BUFFALO Sales LLC.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Lucky he didn’t threaten you. When I pointed out these kind of things to a friend that was interested in a car in the sellers presence it quickly moved to the “you callin me a liar” level and we quickly exited.

9. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

What I usually say in those situations is "Thanks, we have one other car to look at. I'll get back to you if we decide we want it. "

Rosster likes this.
  10. Rosster

Good way to do it for sure.In the case I mentioned the guy knew very little, if anything about cars so I think his memory was just confused . His brother had died awhile ago and he inherited it. It wasn’t a z28 or SS but it was a clean, rust free chassis that live in Southern California it’s whole life- pretty rare in it’s own right. I explained that a car with zero rust would still sell for a pretty penny and should be marketed that way as no one was going to be fooled into thinking it was a z28 and rust free will sell quickly. It was a project car with most of the driveline missing and interior pretty torn up so a $4k car at best.

The others pretty quickly admitted it once I began inspecting the car and pointing out the reasons, gave the old “it’s faster than a z28 now” speech and admitted it.