School bus accident.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

by far one of MY personal greatest fears. I live in a "rural...ish" area. My boys get the bus at the end of the drive way. Speed limit 35. I have seen more than vehicle round the curve 300 meters down the street and blow by the BIG ASS FLASHING, BLINKING, YELLOW bus.... as my son was about to cross the road TO the bus.

While it is NOT the best idea...i do KNOW it works... My mailbox post is a 12' piece of rail road track 8' in the ground with 4' of concrete 36" dia. It took me 3 days to do the work but...our rule is YOU WAIT here (x) until YOU look at the road and its clear or car is STOPPED.

Im sure the Lord is with that very unfortunate family AND the driver as all are certainly in need.

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

My prayers will go out to the families and children.

I also thought what could we do to stop this.
    I thought maybe longer arms for the STOP sign on the bus.
    With that I googled it and found this.
    https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/n...rms-to-stop-cars-from-passing-by/83-495885223

Now That looks easy enough to make and I wonder if you have a child or children that ride the bus and have an issue with passing cars if you were to build one would the school let you install it.
    I would think yes they would .

Check out the link.

xten and BillyDean7173 like this.
  3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

^+1

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Our busses have an arm that swings all the way across, its the with of the bus. and it doesn't stop people.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have driven truck for over 30 years and have seen a number of accidents when people are in too much of a hurry and are in their own little world .And other people usually pay the price in many ways ,

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  6. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

My heart literally broke when I heard who I think was the uncle state, "How do I tell them they are all gone"? My God, it brought me back to when I had to tell my 11 year old son, his favorite uncle was killed in a car accident. That was so hard, how do you tell a child 3 of his family members are gone forever.

Rate of speed. Front impact damage, indicative of a higher rate of speed. Reckless and negligent. If she doesnt come back DUI, I bet a data dump off her phone will show activity at the time of the fatal TC.

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Two school buses stop by my house in the afternoon. Since the accident, I've seen a Sheriff's deputy sit in front of my house and one time, I saw an unmarked car following one of the buses.

jeff swisher likes this.
  8. Camarolina

Camarolina Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

^ From the article:
    "A 7-year-old Pennsylvania boy was killed in a hit-and-run at a bus stop early Thursday morning.
    That’s at least the sixth time in three days that a child has been hurt or killed at a bus stop, following similar incidents in Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi and two cities in Florida."

Obviously, these drivers are distracted. Now who wants to take a wild ass guess as to what's distracting them?

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I had a pretty heated argument on another forum with a guy who insisted stop signals on a school bus was inconvenient and dumb. I can't believe some people have the mindset they have.