Scott_H '77 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Scott_H, Nov 6, 2014.

1. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Yes, i agree my car fund is getting lower. I've got to order a trunk pan and both quarters. After that it will be time to start saving agian.

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Another good option is to get two engine stands and some square stock and make a rotisserie. The only welding needed is the square stock that mounts to the shell. The square stock can then bolt directly to the engine stands. Those stands can support a lot of weight so it's a great option that doesn't cost that much.

3. Scott_H

Scott_H Veteran Member

In moving towards repainting under the car I took out my gas tank. I already have a nice build sheet but it was nice to see this one.

[​IMG]

Slow moving, but got a little further stripping the firewall. I did filler work on the dash so my goal is reprime the cowl an do the firewall to the seem at the toe board. Having thoughts of whether or not to paint the subframe an a arms or powder coat those pieces. I was able to chip the Eastwood Ceramic black pretty easy. An seeing how the tips of the A arms weren't painted on mine I see there is a satin clear powder coat so I thought this might let me keep the bare metal look.

[​IMG]

While cleaning up the garage I took a look to see if I could find any markings on my front end parts. Not gonna try to build on of those "types" of car builds, just want to set my self apart from those other spray everything black restorations.

This shows the black paint line an bare steel on the A arm. Also has a ink stamping that looks to be "928 1" bottom center.

[​IMG]

Ball joint has orange paint on part of it.

[​IMG]

Lots of paint on the spindle, yellow an metallic green paint. An if you wonder what peeled my dust shield back, well popped the ball joint loose to separate the A arms an get the spring out. Guess your suppose to take them off before you do the A arms.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. perkalator

Hey, your making good progress.

5. ls1jorge

ls1jorge Member

Nice progress bro.

6. Scott_H

Scott_H Veteran Member

Sidetracked, went to my first car auction to buy this car for $110, $175 to my driveway. It was in storage since 2002 from the last registration. Not finding much that is usable for my 77. Outside doesn't look bad rust wise, but floor board are bad. Interior is red an in bad shape, between sun baked the owner hacked it up to the point not gonna be much saveable in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am however finding some stuff that is better or usable for the 77. So far hood hinges, cowl screen, gas cap, an door windows. That should cover the cost.

7. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

That's a great score for $175 to your door. Lots of great parts on that car.
    Great work on the car.

8. King Itchy

King Itchy Veteran Member

/me is jealous

9. perkalator

Hey scott let me know if you decide to part it out. I need a radiator core support.

10. Scott_H

Scott_H Veteran Member

Yeah trying to decide if I should sell the body complete or not. Would hate to get stuck with a pile of scrap. It doesn't look bad other than needing floor pans so might make a good starting point for someone. Besides they are different once the went to a urethane bumper style.

The best thing I found so far is the column ear for the gauge bezel. So glue that an then there are no other cracks or pieces missing. My 77 has an tan overlay that I see on other 77's, what did yours have?

An something odd is I first saw it had a weird Holley 4 barrel an looked it up to be a 450cfm. Figured what ever seems small for a 305 then I was curious what the intake was an cleaned off a part to see bare aluminum. Turns out it's a Holley Street Dominator single plane minus the egr. I always thought single planes where higher rpm an no torque down low. So it was probably a real dog to drive.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015