sealed headlight

camaro lover

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2002
Owen Sound, Ont, Canada
i have a 1950 dodge suburban that my wife and i bought for yard art. we have a flower bed around it. i would like to make a hole in the back of each headlight and fit a solar light into it to make it look cool at night. just wondering if they are gas filled, and if it can be done. my other option is to put the solar lights behind the running lights. each light has a 9' cord that goes to the panel. any thoughts? the pic isn't mine, it's just for reference

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 12

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
i have a 1950 dodge suburban that my wife and i bought for yard art. we have a flower bed around it. i would like to make a hole in the back of each headlight and fit a solar light into it to make it look cool at night. just wondering if they are gas filled, and if it can be done. my other option is to put the solar lights behind the running lights. each light has a 9' cord that goes to the panel. any thoughts? the pic isn't mine, it's just for reference
Those old school lamps are glass and under vacuum. I guess it is possible to drill a hole in the glass. They usually have a place between the contacts that is pinched from the process. If you knock that off it probably will release the seal if it is still good. Interesting idea. Hope you can get it done.

Jimmac

Veteran Member
Dec 24, 2013
tucson az
those aren't regular 6 volt sealed beams like our 12 volt camaro bulbs? maybe a tile/glass drill bit and snake a bulb in it or heat the plug and remove the back of the bulb and insert the led in from the back?

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
those aren't regular 6 volt sealed beams like our 12 volt camaro bulbs? maybe a tile/glass drill bit and snake a bulb in it or heat the plug and remove the back of the bulb and insert the led in from the back?
What makes them different? Are they a sealed beam?

camaro lover

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2002
Owen Sound, Ont, Canada
I was thinking a dremel with a diamond bit (drill bit size) to make the hole? I just ordered the solar lights online. Still lots of snow around it so will be a bit before it gets done. Appreciate all of your thoughts.

camaro lover

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2002
Owen Sound, Ont, Canada
Here is a pic of it from last summer just after we brought it home. I had a local vinyl place make up the door artwork. Whenever the lights show up I will get at it.

Attachments

• 20210805_153516.jpg
    20210805_153516.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 21

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I've used a Dremel and diamond bits/wheels on glass.

You don't really "drill" glass... You grind it.
(Use a face mask and eye protection. Glass dust is nasty stuff.)

The diamond wheels work very well to make a fairly large hole.
Use the edge of the wheel and rotate the headlight to get a nice round hole.

PaRoadDawg

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 10, 2002
PA
This is a trick that we used in the collision investigation industry. Propane or MAP torch and a wet rag fashioned in a circle. Spin the headlight, clear side down and heat the backside, about 1 1/2 inch from the socket. After about a minute or so, drop the wet rag onto the heated area. It'll crack in a perfect circle so you can remove the filament.

Latest posts