Sealing Home Air Conditioning Ducts

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
I had watched an episode of This Old House that used it. They measured it before & after with pressurization, it was a night & day difference.

They must a compound thru the ducts, it leaks out the holes and sorta coagulates.

I don't remember how much they said it cost though.

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
Your ducts essentially leaks at every joint.
In turn you are heating/cooling your basement/attic/walls instead of all of it getting to the living quarters.

Z28zz383

Veteran Member
May 11, 2012
Florida
I had every connection painted with a mastic paste that hardens up. Seems to be better than nothing. Also noticed that I can smell the pine lumber roof trusses after 15 yrs of use. Must have some small leaks. Possibly on the intake side. In fla this might be a worthwhile fix.

Flynt

Veteran Member
Jul 9, 2003
Alabama, USA
Estimate

I made a phone call to my nearest dealer for the product and they will be at my house November 24 to give me a free estimate. I have two A/C systems in my home. They have a way to show you exactly how much your duct work leaks.

twozs

Veteran Member
Aug 5, 1999
hopewell jct ny
The duct system isn't really the problem . Home hvac systems run about a half pound of static pressure . Air takes the path of least resistance . Half pound of static isn really enough to push air out the seams or slip and drive connections . The duct sealers are going to pump about 10 pounds in the system and yea it's going to leak down . The main air loss / gain is the plenum / unit connection , unit / coil connection and return / unit connection . Does the seal company spray crap in the return also ? I would not recommend that as if it bypasses the filter and gets on a water or AC coil ....how do you seal the doors on the unit ? Glue them shut ?

Ztoy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 4, 2003
Ionia, Michigan
I used duct tape to seal all the joints in my pipe connections or where there were holes in the pipes. Back in Michigan out in my barn I wrapped insulated wrap around the exposed pipes then wrapped them in fiberglass insulation to help keep the heat in the pipes so I got a good war flow out of the registers. Bet all that is still cheaper than that aerosol.

OsborneConst

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 25, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
I used to work in HVAC before I startedmy construction business. I always used a heavy duty foil tape like ployken 339. It is code in Michigan now to seal every connection in the duct system. I also find it funny that duct tape is against code to use on new duct ststems

Latest posts