Seam Sealing Under the Cowl Panel

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 76 for 26, Aug 24, 2020.

1. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

Finally getting around to installing new cowl panel. I’m getting ready to seam seal the seam just to the right of the tape and put a thick line up top where it connects to the a-pillar attachment point (under cowl). Is this right and how do I handle the heat ( bead would run right between the spot welds represented by the blue tape dots). Should I use different seam sealer versus the 2k to give more time to weld the panel in and if so...what type and brand. Epoxy is spi. One last question, how is everyone sealing the cowl along the area the windshield sits just above. Sealing after installed? This are also had sealer sandwiched between the cowl and lower panel, but no idea how to handle as would think it would light up as soon is I started welding. Searched all over but can’t find the answer. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

you seam seam after welding not before
    sounds like youre looking for a weld through primer between the panels before welding, not seam sealer.

3. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

Thanks for the response. When I pulled the cowl panel off, there was a reddish/brown sealer of some sort sandwiched between the bottom of cowl and top of the various panels where a pillar attaches. To you point, maybe I’m over thinking and factory welded panel in place and just packed that stuff in there afterwards. I wish I hadn’t been a bonehead and put my camera with all the disassembly pictures on the step of my 71 step side and then decided to take a leisurely drive...I actually took detailed pics of this area a could share. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the reply though...much appreciated

4. gto_will

gto_will New Member

yeah make sure u get a weld threw primer done first or regret all that had work u did lol and they do have different seam sealers out there were u can go over bare metal or put a primer done first then apply