Seat belt receiver flew apart

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
Concerning my 74 Camaro, pretty sure , my seat belt system is original to car , the interlock system even works . I fastened my belt into the receiver beside the driver seat today, and the receiver parts landed in my lap . It is a mostly plastic afair , the top of the buckle all ( plastic ) broke up and the rest flew out . Investigating ... I saw none on ebay that looked like mine , all on there was for 75-81 . Not even a used broken one ! I searched 70-73 receivers and there was none either . So , Im presuming mine is like those too ? Wondered what can be done short of putting a wrong latter year reciever in. Are there any repro parts to put the buckle snap assembly back to together ? ,That flat top plastic square piece that hold all the guts inside the reciever if its available as a repair item....might be all i really need ? Or is this something that dies and there is no fix ? Anybody got a used one for sale ?

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
I thought the 73 buckles were the “exploding” variety.

IIRC, the male side of the buckles were slightly different over the years along with the receivers.

What about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-81-CAMA...FT-SEAT-BELT-RECEIVER-PASS-BLUE-/254762848987
No , saw that one , close but not quite it . I suspect mine is like some of the 73 and back and with the poor plastic construction , they have become quit difficult to obtain. ....since there was not a single one like mine on ebay. I was wondering about the male catch , if latter ones would work on my receivers . I suspected not . Explode is exactly what it did . I have attempted to glue it back together and it does latch , i need it to at least appear to the police I have a working belt on ....It certainly will fall apart again . The button surround plastic plate is the weak part , it holds all the other pieces inside the receiver in place . This cover plate has four small legs or tangs that snap,it in place to the receiver body . If i just had this top plastic cover it would be good again. But that would require a donor receiver with the top uncracked ....then it might be tricky to unsnap the plate from the receiver too. But now that ive seen the direction the tangs snap under the cover , i might be able to remove and replace one working very gently.

Last edited:

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
Post a pic of what you need. I have a box full.

Here is the pic , its is a small plastic reciever , the part I need to be good to repair mine is the top plastic rectangular cover , which is the small area surrounding the GM button . Kinda like a pickup ring on a electric guitar. The plastic is thin around the button , four small snaps or tangs hold this plate and the rest of the guts together and if it cracks ...then the whole unit flys apart . The rest is actually pretty durable , if this nothing cover was to be reproduced , it could save alot of belt systems . I epoxied the cover back together ....its the one in the pic . That was trick , holding all that together , getting the glue only in the right places , not on the button itself , all while the spring is fight you and wants to spray you with parts. I needed to be an octopus. But it functions for now. If you think you have one with the correct style cover surround , let me know .

Attachments

• IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 95

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^ Good find! :D

The Parts Place list the same part number for 71-77.
It looks correct for the 73-74 buckles.

Hopefully it works for Z28Pilot's 74.

Latest posts