Seat belts between seats and console

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by JD Z, Jul 25, 2019.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

How best to go about getting the seat belt floor clip to not fall to the floor. I have to dig it out every time Input my seat belt on.

Tighten up the screw that attaches it to the floor? Do I have to take the seat out for that? Thanks all.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Floor clip? How about a pic. I'm not certain weather the 77-81 yrs had this steel part as in my 70.

[​IMG]

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The seat belt floor clip...... Im not exactly sure what you are referring to. It looks like you have an 80 or 81 Z28. There is an anchor bolt attached to the floor, but your roof mounted retractor should be pulling the belt and buckle "up" towards a small escutcheon on your seat. If the retractor isnt working well, then maybe your buckle is hanging low?

You should have a setup like this
    [​IMG]

4. COPO

I bet he's talking about the wind up mechanism on the roof. Someone probably extended it fully and now it won't retract. Someone did this in my 78 Z28. I had to tug on it on and off to get it back to normal.

5. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

COPO, your first floor clip picture is what I’m referring to. This slides down between the seats and I have to dig them out from between the seats and raise them up to connect the seat belt. I would like them to stay in a position angled up and so it’s easy to grab and clip.

6. COPO

A member here makes them but I don't remember who. Someone will chime in.

7. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have to admit, I am super confused about how this would work, but I am intrigued. I don't think I've seen this mentioned before and I definitely dont remember those being on my 78. (It's possible that they were there and simply lost over time.)

I am fairly certain I can fabricate something like this. Is this just a flat piece of metal? It looks really thin to me.

I'm curious how just adding a piece of metal between the bolt and the metal post of the seatbelt helps maintain enough tension to keep the female portion of the seatbelt receiver positioned at an angle.

8. BC_Homegrown

BC_Homegrown Member

It looks to me the metal spacer piece is shaped to give the receiver a range of movement while not allowing it to rotate past the ledges on the spacer. The metal of the pictured seatbelt would hit the insert and stop at either ledge.

Pretty smart idea but IIRC my seat belt receivers were flat, not sure what kind the OP's are. I just used a shorter bolt with threads all the way to the end and a couple of washers and tightened it down good. It doesn't move very easily though which may be a problem for some.

JD Z likes this.