Seat Belts

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 72silverbullet, Feb 19, 2020.

1. 72silverbullet

72silverbullet New Member

I am in search of a female end to my 1972 Camaro retractable seat belts. I can't seem to find any female ends that will work with the original retractable male end. I don't want to have to replace them with regular pull to tighten seat belts. Any info helps. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's a tough one. Might try checking with a seat belt restoration company. Some of them have spare parts. Ssnake Oyl is one of the more well know companies but there are others.
    https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

3. fvdillon

fvdillon Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hope you have better luck than I had. This is the 2nd design 72 belts, which are very difficult to find. I needed a rear seat re-tractor. Searched for over 10yrs, every swap meet, junkyards and Carlisle for yrs. Put wtb searches out on all the forums. Finally a member found me just the correct buckle. I had it sewed on another re-tractor that was close to orginal. It's hidden beneath seat, so no one can see it. Jim

4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

As far as I know, 72 seat belts are one-year only. The set I have wouldn't interchange with my 73 set. I have a 71 also, so I'm pretty sure 72 is the first year of the "three-point system" (lap male retractor, female buckle, and shoulder all connecting).

I don't know if the 72 seat belts are Camaro only. I sort of doubt it, but you may want to check other 72 GM vehicles. I used some Caprice shoulder belts that fit in my 71 no problem. I've also seen the large plastic shoulder belt holders that are in my 73Z in a big Buick and got some NOS seat belt warning sensor switches that go under the seat from a Buick website.

In other words, some of our Camaro parts can be found in other cars.