Seat cover replacement?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Dave Nelson, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

My 70 still has the original black standard seat covers in very good condition. The problem is the foam/filler has gotten to the point where there's not much cushion in the seat buns (my butt knows). Can the covers be removed and new foam installed then put back on or should I bite the bullet and replace the covers also? If I decide to replace the covers and the foam what are some of the better products out there?

75Maro likes this.
  2. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Covers can be reused. You’ll need new hog rings to put it back together but that’s about it

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

I agree, your old covers 'may' be reusable. IMO, you won't know until they are removed. They could be dry rotted to the point that they can't be re-used. I'd buy a new set to have on hand if needed. If you don't use them, you can always return them for a refund.
    I replaced the covers and foam on the buckets of my 81. I used American Cushion Industries foam and it was/is perfect. I didn't record who I bought it from. But I know it was from one of the big aftermarket people.
    Good Luck

Dave Nelson likes this.
  4. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

If i remeber when i did my 70 seats PUI is the only one that has seat foam for the 1970 seats. They were a good fit alittle thick on the foam had to really pull to get new covers on. That my be good or bad if you save your old ones.

5. Dave Nelson

Looks like I'll be going with the PUI foam and Legendary covers but must be purchased in sets. I only need one cover if anyone is interested in the extra one let me know.

6. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

I think you are making the right move. I just finished my first seat bun using American Cushion foam and PUI vinyl, it was a little tough but if I can do it so can you. Here is a pic of my first attempt it is a front seat bun. Don't be discouraged if there are a few wrinkles, a little steam and then baking in the sun really got rid of most wrinkles. You can do it.

RickM

. IMG_3587.JPG

1978 Z/28 and Dave Nelson like this.
  7. Dave Nelson

Spoke to a local upholstery shop today, he's confident he can re-foam the seat using my original cover. Good thing as I spoke to Legendary today and told me they are 25 weeks behind on seat cover orders.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had mine swapped with the pass side. Just like new again.

9. Dave Nelson

Did you swap just the covers, and not the foam?

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Foam only. Covers are still original custom cloth, but drivers seat cloth cover was done in 1985 and was the only one that had some rips and wear.

[​IMG]