Seat Track Install

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Ripley716, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Ripley716

Ripley716 New Member

Working on our 1970 Camaro. We took out the ugly video game racing type seats that were in it, and got some seats for the front and back. Back ones fit like a glove. The seat tracks that we have were handed to us when we bought the car so I don't have much of a reference. Hopefully the picture will help.
    The problem we are having is that the handle for the seat is hitting the inside of the seat where indicated with the red arrows. Not sure which side but it's not working. One of us thinks we are installing wrong, the other thinks they are incompatible. I know these aren't 1970 tracks but was hoping they were 71-74 or something that is compatible with the seats. Save us a long drive for new parts tomorrow!! Anyone!!

IMG_9428.JPG
    IMG_9427.jpg

2. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Your seat tracks are for the later second gen camaro. They will fit 79-81 and maybe earlier but i do not recognize the seat pattern. I dont think those tracks fit on those seats.

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the tracks fit the seats and fit the floor could it be as simple as maybe spacing the tracks off the seat mounts using 1/8" or 1/4" inch thick pieces of flat stock to give the handle clearance? I don't think I'd go much more than 3/16's of an inch thickness. If it works just make sure the old bolts still have enough length to fully engage all the threads where they screw into the seat. I know I had a hard time finding seat tracks for my 72, ended up tearing my old ones apart, cleaning and re-assembling, as I recall getting them apart is something of a chore.

4. Ripley716

Ripley716 New Member

We ended up taking a trip to a local Camaro shop and found out the tracks were for a 75 -81 and never would have worked. The owner and some 70 tracks kicking around and we did an even swap. The 70s worked much much better.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

70 Camaro tracks (one year) are very hard to find in good shape.
    You got a deal with an even swap. :D

6. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

What year seat tracks are compatible? I have a 72 and need some a pair of seat tracks I would like to know what I am looking for?

7. Ripley716

Ripley716 New Member

Apparently 70 has the handle on the side and that’s the only year they did that. 72 should have the handle between your knees. The seats I have are also 70 and that’s the only year they were that shape. So — not what I have LOL

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You need 71-74 tracks for a direct fit to your 72.
    The floor pan changed in 75 (catalytic converter) so the later tracks will not fit the passenger side.

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

70 are one-year only.
    71-74 are compatible.
    75-81 are compatible. Note that the passenger side is different because the floor has an indentation for the catalytic converter.

10. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Thanks guys
    Are low back bucket seat 70 year only? I like the look of those seats much more

BillyDean7173 likes this.