Seatbelt help

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
I know I've seen this before, but I can't remember where. My search function skills fail me.

The drivers side seatbelt on my '79 is locked in the extended position. Its done this before now and then, but it's locked good and solid now.

Any help to offer on how to fix this?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Take the seat belt retractor cover down from the headliner and remove the white catch assembly from the side.
DO NOT touch the round cover (red or blue) which holds the coiled spring. (It says "Do Not Remove" on it.)

Pull this piece off and it should retract again.
Be careful with it. The little tabs which hold it to the metal frame are not very sturdy and may break if you just try to pry it off.

1652017149586.png

Note: There is a pendulum weight inside which also locks the belt in place during hard cornering or breaking.

If your car is sitting on a steep slope, it may just be that part doing its job.

If you unbolt the whole mechanism from the roof... It has to be held at a certain angle for it to work.

Good luck!

Last edited:

wped777

Aug 18, 2013
anchorage, ak
To Twisted and TTR, ran across this thread and decided to try Twisted’s solution to my issue.
My driver’s side shoulder belt would not retract on its own if I leaned forward then back. The spring cover is black on my ‘78. I removed the cover and and found the wire catch. I tried the upper groove in the latch assembly but no success. Tried the bottom groove and now the belt retracts as intended. Simple fix. Thanks guys for your posts. Hopefully my hair will start growing back. Bill

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
To Twisted and TTR, ran across this thread and decided to try Twisted’s solution to my issue.
My driver’s side shoulder belt would not retract on its own if I leaned forward then back. The spring cover is black on my ‘78. I removed the cover and and found the wire catch. I tried the upper groove in the latch assembly but no success. Tried the bottom groove and now the belt retracts as intended. Simple fix. Thanks guys for your posts. Hopefully my hair will start growing back. Bill

Glad to help!
Thanks for posting and giving a little more detail on your fix.

The catch thingy on mine no longer holds the belt in a comfortable position and the seat belt always pulls tight to my shoulder. :(

Latest posts