Seats tracks

80Zcorn

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2016
Israel
Hi
Do the sit tracks require cutting the track end shape through the carpet and insulation or just an hole to the bolt is enough?
Curious since I know that if it's not metal to metal it might decrease the tightness strength.

DougD

Veteran Member
Dec 2, 2014
Bradenton, FL
In the original setup, the carpet was cut to allow the bracket to bolt directly to the floorpan. Never encountered any other car of any time that I've dealt with putting the bolt through the carpet. It's also just a slit that needs to really be cut to slide the track under.

80Zcorn

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2016
Israel
Ok. I understand the method. Didn't think of slit to slide the bracket but as i thought it should be metal to metal.

scrap--metal

Veteran Member
Jan 8, 2007
Bloomington, MN
I believe the seats( tracks) just sit on top of the carpet to be bolted to the floor.
My car has replacement carpet, and the seat tracks sit right on top of it with the mounting bolts going through it. The seat adjustment (factory seat tracks) works just fine.

It might not be factory correct, but it works like it should.

80Zcorn

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2016
Israel
I'm convinced they will work fine. I'm just wondering about safety and strength. (Hope you didn't check this two ;) )

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
It’s a 40 plus year old car. Having a little carpet sandwiched between the seat tracks and floor doesn’t even register on my worry meter. (I work in the crash safety industry)

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I cut my carpet into a flap to access the bolt.
756FF0F8-F8D8-4979-8331-4585C5C9343B.jpeg
BAF581CE-FBE0-4183-A515-3D5925F6707F.jpeg

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
I'll take your answer as a certification 😁
In a frontal or offset frontal crash, you’ll be moving independent of the seat and relying on the belts to keep your face out of the windshield. There should be little load in the seat track bolts. In a rear crash, the seat back will more than likely fold flat towards the back seat on impact reducing the load on the bolts. Even if they don’t, the lap belt should keep everything planted. As long as your floor pans aren’t Swiss cheese, and you are using good, strong, grade 8 bolts, they should hold just fine(in my opinion, of course)