Second Gen T-top camaro and vortec heads project.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Francesco, Jan 3, 2021.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Nope just a roll bar to be legal to 10.0

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Nope, it was my buddies car actually. I only ran 11.1 @ 120 with 1.5 60ft back in the early/mid 90's, all iron OEM 327, th350 with 3.73's and a little 150 hit. Home-made traction bars, cheap weld, bolt in SFC and that's it, all with rotten rubber bushings everywhere, was like driving in the snow yee haa. See, no helmet...(or cage/belts/clue) I had no idea what it would run LOL, I got a talking to....

Sanair early 90's 1.png

3. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Thats pretty impressive. I read alot of forums outside nastyZ and many write lots of BS...So at some point you dont know who is bluffing and the real facts about modified engines,HP,TQ and body flex t-top or not.

4. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Is that your car? Did it survive? Was it the original block or did you transplant?

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Yes, my 1971 Camaro, pic was Sanair circa early-mid 90's.

No, the car was totaled, it did not survive, but I did.......

No, the block was a 68/69 2 bolt 327 I bought used in 1988, still use it today in my '72 Z, the only thing that was salvageable in the wrecked 71 was the block/heads/intake and 12 bolt rear end that was from a 1970 Z28.

6. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Hello engine master! I have been working on my interior and its going well, I have a carb question...What is the difference between my aftermarket holley 80770 carb and a stock 4 barrel Q-jet? Mine is a 770 cfm and the other is 750 cfm. On my current setup, I have no smog equipement. Right now its just all out straight pipe. Does that change how the carb operates?

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Mmm, other than the 20 cfm rating, basically everything is different between a Q-Jet and the typical 4150 Holley, spread bore vs square bore being the biggest different. Do you have a spread bore style intake, if so, are you changing this out for a square flange intake?

The typical exhaust system does not effect the way the carb works, unless it's out in left field for one reason or another.

8. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Hi mister! I have the street avenger with the 770 cfm and it runs too rich. We tuned it as best as possible but it keeps making this black charcoal residue. It works very well at high rpm but at low to mid range its not that fun. I want to swap it for the 650 holley. I just drive around town and the highway. If my engine had all the smog controls from factory, would it run better with my street avenger or does it make no difference?

Thank you!