Selecting Cylinder Heads

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Riley, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

I'm looking into rebuilding a 350 sbc. I'm having a hard time fully understanding ins and outs of what cylinder heads to select. I was pursuing the purchase of vortec heads but having terrible luck finding decent ones. What could be a good head choice that would be just as good or better then vortec heads?
    Any advice would be great. Thanks

2. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Are you looking for stock or aftermarket and what budget?

3. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Hey, I'm willing to go stock or aftermarket. I don't really have a budget I just want heads that will make good torque and hp. I was lined up to get very low mile/kms vortecs for $300 canadian but the deal didn't go threw so now I'm back to the drawing board in search for something else.

4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Riley, make sure any "Vortec" you look at is really a true #906 or #062 casting as I am seeing numerous centre bolt heads advertised incorrectly. Kijiji has been really loaded with crap since last fall. $300 in our funds is a bargain if they are decent. Remember those heads require a Vortec intake and centre bolt valve covers as well.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Come-on dude, there's always a budget. How about this: are you willing to spend $1600 on heads? This is going to significantly effect anyone's recommendations

Let's talk about your goals for the car, and current setup.
    I'm assuming this is a daily driver
    What are you running for a cam, gears, are you running headers? What is the compression now?

76z28 likes this.
  6. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, you're right though you have to watch what people are actually selling. I just had a person on kijiji message me trying to sell me heads off a 5.3 and not a 5.7 vortec.

7. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I know what you mean, I'd rather not spend the $1600 on heads but when I look up heads on summit and such they seem to run me at least $1200 or so. Cheaper would be better but I want to get the right item the first time. Was hoping to budget with vortecs but having a nightmare of a time trying to do that.

My car is just a hobby weekend car.
    When I bought the car the person didn't know exact specs of what was in the motor.
    -It's been bored to a 355.
    -Exhaust headers
    -Unsure of exact cam but it's not stock and seems very lumpy (will know when I disassemble the motor)
    -Edelbrock carb 650 cam
    -Running 3.73 rear gears
    -Currently 700r4 trans but I want to put my 350 turbo back in. I dont do much highway driving
    -Has cylinder heads with casting number 14102198. (Late 80s head I think with center bolts)

8. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  9. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Sorry thats one thing I should have added. I was told the motor has flat top pistons. You know when it comes to compression ratio its sort of confuses me. Is more compression better? When I do a compression test I'm getting 162 psi to 174 psi. I'm getting a lot of blow by it seems. Also when I do a leak down test my leakage is all out of the exhaust. This is my main reason for wanting to redo this motor.

10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you can afford it , go with a set of AFR cyl heads !!

jthomas likes this.