Selecting Cylinder Heads

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Riley, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Steve74

Steve74 Steve 74

Brodix IK 180 Aluminum SBC Heads. Made in USA and available right around 1k on Jegs or Summit

2. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Haha. For some reason the 700r4 just doesn't seem to work well with my setup. It's almost like first gear is too low of a gear and doesn't last long enough before shifting. I will miss the overdrive gear though. I run 3.73 rear gears so maybe that's why it doesn't work well for me.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 700R4 does have a super short first gear, 3.059 vs TH350's 2.52
    I think you'll be hating life on the freeway with 3.73 gears and no OD.

pointman and Riley like this.
  4. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

I don't know the used parts market in BC, but here in the states CL and other forums are full of sbc parts. I ended up with the Edelbrocks on the 355 in my Camaro by chance after spending several months gathering parts. I was waiting to buy heads when a 383 ci longblock with some decent parts came up for sale locally. It had RPM heads along with a nice set of Crane roller rockers and a Perf RPM intake. Bought the whole thing for $1800, sold the short block for $1200 and then the intake/rockers for $100 each leaving me with the Edelbrocks for ~$400 total invested. Hard to pass em up at that price. Either way, with the selection of alum heads today, I would not put any money in iron heads unless I was doing an original restoration.

5. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

I know exactly what you mean. When I use to run the th350 transmission I didn't like going over 80 kmph hahaha. It's the reason why I converted to the 700r4 but I miss how the th350 worked for me.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Had a nice fresh set of bare Vortec 906's in my hands today....one look into the intake port, just one look, then the G-spot finger hook over the short side, It almost makes me angry in the amount of time I spent/worked on the old 461/291/441/882's back in the day....oh well.

sooner and 1980RS like this.
  7. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

the "G-spot" LOL ... but seriously true

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Frankly, I'd do a gear swap before I got rid of the 700R4
    Dropping the rear to a 3.23 gear (I'd probably go 3.42) will have the same effect on the 1st gear ratio, without destroying your cruising ability. It's not an accident 3rd Gen's had a 3.23 rear gear

Riley likes this.
  9. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Thats a great alternative idea. Thanks for the input.

10. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

So today I purchased a full 1997 350 vortec motor. Paid $175 Canadian. It's has the vortec heads ending in numbers 906. I took a gamble and havn't been able to get a good look at them. Will take them off soon and check for visible cracks. I'm going to find a good machine shop as well and get them checked, possibly plained.

sandlapper likes this.