Selecting Cylinder Heads

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Riley, Mar 13, 2021.

1. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

riley, when its all said and done, tell us how much you have invested in the heads? i thought of that but went with a set of dart iron eagles.

1980RS likes this.
  2. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

I will let you all know how the risk works out haha. I do belive I'll be at the very least upgrading the valve springs depending what camshaft I go with.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

That whole engine is great. Once you get the heads off, have a look at the bores. Unless you know there is something wrong with the engine, I bet it is in really good shape and would be a good base for a cheap 400hp engine. Good rebuild on the heads with some work to allow higher lift, a good factory style roller cam and you will be making power.

sandlapper likes this.
  4. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Nice score, you should be way ahead money wise by the time you sell everything else.

In my case, the 383 was really a 388 and being an unknown build already at .060 over it was not worth my effort to run it.

Riley likes this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I scored a set of the older Dart 215's last year for $300 bucks, are now all ported and ready for some action this year. Kid had them on a mild 355 and said he did not even make 400hp with them, gee I wonder why? LOL. Like putting Sq. port heads on a 396, they just don't work well together.

G72Zed and Riley like this.
  6. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Winner winner chicken dinner! Even if only L31 block and crank are reclaimable, you're already miles ahead of the curve.

Suggest do Not bore x880 block more than +0.040" over.
    Also, shelf-stock Not custom, NPR America offers true Vortec pistons (1.5, 1.5, 3mm rings) in +0.010" over; no need to bore further if that'll clean it up.

Also, 906 heads are usually the "heavy duty" heads that HAD been unfairly maligned; those usually have a very hard alloy exhaust seat insert which the misinformed persist in claiming have poor flow. BS! Also, if the motor has 906 heads, it's likely from a Heavy Duty truck... and therefore, block will likely have 4-bolt mains; not a certainty but likely.

If the heads, block & crank check out visually ... pay to have shop mag / zyglo check for unseen cracks. If all good ... build that roller motor.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Riley likes this.
  7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Wow, great deal you got there. Can't beat that price, hope the heads check out OK. And the block too!!

Riley likes this.
  8. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

The best advice I've heard is spend the money on cylinder heads, buy the best ones you can afford, AND, that will allow you to upgrade the camshaft or other internals later. Be sure of the quality of components, so that you don't have failure due to a broken spring or valve. If leaning toward the Vortec heads, check out Brzezinski at castheads.com they provide quite a bit of information on the Vortec heads. If you're considering aftermarket, think of your end goal, I bought heads from Tony Mamo https://www.mamomotorsports.com/, yes, they were expensive, but they have helped the 377 quite a bit, no dyno test yet...

Good luck with your project, be sure to buy FORGED pistons and have the assembly balanced, and use ARP Hardware!
    IMG_2045.jpg

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good advice hd_cat, could not agree with you more. nice heads, what's the spec's and what are your target's for the 377, love that combo.

Most times the issue is up here in the Great White North is the shipping, exchange rate and tax's we get hit with. A nice set of heads in the $1,995 USD range can hit $2,800 CND real quickly.

10. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

I was looking at your dyno results and was wondering if you could provide any info on the intake and carb type and basic setup. Thx, Ed