Selecting Cylinder Heads

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Riley, Mar 13, 2021.

1. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anyone watch Motor trends Engine Masters episodes #32 or episode #56 ??? . They were testing oil pans windage issues and found that 5qts in the pan is the magical number to lessen windage and make more hp

Also episode #56 they made 40 plus hp gain by swapping from a drag race oil pan to an expensive two piece rear sump oil pan

3. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Yes I saw it. Old news. I don't believe there's a "standard" volume (eg 5qt) for ideal power etc. I suggest whatever is ideal volume, it's dependent upon total volume specific to engine type, pan model, tray type & application. Furthermore, unless you have identical parts & pieces as EM test, suggest you must run your own trials to find your own ideal level. JMO, In general, somewhat less oil (than what street levels are) will typically yield more power ... your motor & YMMV

JMO, if you drag race, use a drag pan ... if you road race, use a road race pan ... me thinks streets' constant Right & Left forces on oil slosh is more akin to RR. YMMV

I seem to recall they-EM had confusing comments on "power pocket" ... in the pic below is an sbc pan with a bulge along right side just below rail and bulge has a moroso decal emblazoned along it ... that bulge is a "power pocket." PP helps unleash some power as well.

FWIW, Mercedes authored an SAE white paper on oil control more than 45 years back; their testing found, on average, an 8% power increase with improved oil & windage methods.

[​IMG]

muscl car likes this.
  4. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Its Holley 0-82651 - Street HP jetted 69/75 with 28/29 squirters and 6.5 PV up front. Changed the 4 idle air bleeds 68 to 70 per Holley and it did clean up the idle. Orange pump cam #2 slot up front and stock pink cam #1 out back. Car runs pretty good as is, especially after fine tuning the MSD distributor. I'll post a different thread about it as I went back and reread your post about getting the initial up and you were right, fixed the rest of my carb issues...

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I don't watch the Motor Trend "Engine Masters" series much, got to join and pay money and I don't watch TV so do not know these episodes, but I do tune/build/R&D with someone who has entered the actual EMC competition almost a dozen times over the years. Big difference in making a "show" vs "competing".

He actually got a call from the 2 hosts just a few weeks ago as they are finishing up 2 new episodes and needed some additional insight/direction as this was right in his wheelhouse of expertise.

Be careful how you read into this, just stating 5 quarts is the "magic" number can have negative consequences. Not saying the dyno lied, but it's in a purely "static" environment, not a "dynamic" one as installed in the vehicle. Need a "hero" Dyno number, extend the pump pick up in a 5 gal pail and take off the oil pan and let rip LOL.

I have "removed" custom made crank "scrappers" and picked up power on the dyno, not lost it, but when installed in the vehicle, it goes back in to help return and control. Same with power pockets, trays and or screens, runners on both sides and compartmentalised pans...the dyno is one thing, actually racing is another, sometimes it does not line up.

sandlapper likes this.
  6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

The "street" ones save on machining everywhere they can, hence no rear PV provisions and the P to S jet spread. If the IFR are on the top setting, most times they can be lowered and reduced to clean things up and keeping to the stock IAB/HSAB setup that matched the E paks. , but it's more work then just changing a IAB.

Good to hear about your timing, the right amount of timing (additional) is your friend, limiters on the mech and vacuum rod works great, and I see "carb" issues that are timing issues on a regular basis.

No back to the regularly scheduled program of "Selecting Cylinder Heads"