Self driving car kills in Az

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by COPO, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Because people in this country are becoming increasingly lazy.

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Cheap flying cars. Then the streets could be for those that want to drive and enjoy doing it.

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Lol... we'e all going to eventually end up like those characters in the movie Wall-e stuck in their recliners who never have to get up for anything. Everything is delivered to you at the push of a button.

MotionClone likes this.
  4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Driverless cars, where nothing can possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong........

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL, this is what the conversation must have been like at the beginning of the industrialization of agriculture.:) Or cars in 1905 or so... or... yeah.

This is a sample size of one, and none of us have seen the video from the Uber. Almost 6000 pedestrians run down in the US last year, by other humans.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I've already posted the ridiculousness of that point. Yes, it's only 1 fatality, but the number of autonomous driving miles is miniscule compared to 3.15 TRILLION miles driven by actual people in a year.

And real people actually drive in adverse conditions, whereas the autonomous cars are being operated under primarily optimum conditions. Ford (and everyone knows I detest that four letter word) is one of the first to test autonomous cars in the snow. But this took place on icy roads at MCity, where a real-world environment was simulated in the University of Michigan, not on public roads.

Other hazards also need to be addressed:

• Wind speed
    • Precipitation
    • Fog
    • Pavement temperature
    • Pavement conditions
    • Standing water
    These weather conditions that impact driving for cars on public roadways is what major car manufacturing companies are trying to address.

The technology is far from where it needs to be, yet the industry wants to use real live people as the crash test dummies.

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Mass transit is okay, if you have access to it. Busses? The closest stops miles from my house. Trains? Nope, no where near here.

As for video of the Uber crash, here you go,

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...ollision-with-uber-self-driving-suv/23392088/

I noticed the driver, well, monitor, was looking down most of the time. Probably on her phone. Too much reliance on technology. When I drive, I'm always looking around. I look for a pedestrian or deer about to cross the road. It just takes too long to get your attention back where it belongs if you let it stray.

8. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, I saw the video. Hard to understand why the cars detectors didn't see the woman with the bike in front of it, and at least try to brake or swerve. Although there are basic issues with deep neural nets, which I believe all the AVs are using for obstacle detection, that I don't see being discussed in the MSM. For example, they can respond unpredictably when confronted with a scenario they weren't "trained" on.

I think what's really bothersome here is we have a dead woman, run over by a car, with no one really responsible. If she had been hit by a drunk driver, the driver would be in jail, charged with manslaughter. My guess is, this is not going to be accepted by the general public very well.

9. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

I think we rely on technology too much instead of taking responsibility for our actions.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  10. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Just saw the video of her being splatted. She was a moron, and I bet many of us would not have seen her either??
    It was very dark, she was very darkly dressed, and she was crossing in front of a damn car and got her ass ran over.
    100% her fault if the video I saw was accurate, but they claim the cars can see in the dark???
    So even if she darted across, why didn't it track her and adjust ahead of time???

FlaJunkie likes this.