Serpentine belt conversion

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by sp1249, Mar 19, 2017.

1. sp1249

sp1249 New Member

New guy here---I have a '80 Z/28 with the original 350 engine that I would like to change the V-belts over to a serpentine belt. I will be deleting the A/C on the car, so I'll only be dealing with the power steering pump, alternator, water pump and crankshaft pulleys . Ideally, I would like to get a donor car or truck that would supply everything I need to make the changeover. I did some reading that said the water pump that goes with serpentine belt, has a reverse rotation from what the original water pump runs. Also read that the 1980 engine block is missing two threaded bolt holes, where the bracket that holds the power steering pump and alternator, mounts to. Can anybody confirm or deny this and can anybody point me in the right direction as to what would be a good donor car to use for making this conversion?

2. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the serp setup off of a 3rd gen camaro on my 79 z28. Everything fit perfectly. I used an ac delete pulley I found on ebay.

You will need a reverse rotation water pump from a 3rd gen camaro. You'll also have to clock to alternator to clear tall valve covers, and do something with the wires because the alternator will be on the driver side.

I'm missing 1 mounting bolt hole in the passenger side head that mounts the alternator bracket, no problems in 3 years....

3. sp1249

sp1249 New Member

Thank you very much---That's just the info that I needed. Just to open up more possibilities, I wonder if a serp setup off of a 3rd gen Camaro with a 4.3 V6 would work?

4. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

If you ever notice how newer cars that when you rev them they come back to a idle slowly. There's a reason for that. It's because the serpentine belt system needs to slow down slowly. The inertia of all the accessories will over come the tensioner (on a quick slow down) and possibly throw the belt. They actually programmed that into the computers on the new cars. If you get a serpentine system use one with a tensioner you can lock down. Might save you a headache. Good luck.

5. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

The serp setup from an 87-92 305 or 350 Camaro would work, but GM didn't put the 4.3 V6 in a third gen, only the 2.8/3.1 V6, which won't work. The serp setup from a 4.3 V6 in an S10 should work too.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought the GM serpentine system and will be installing this fall. I've never heard of the idle slow down issue, guess I'll deal with it if it becomes an issue.

OP - don't forget the fan will be reverse rotation also, no problem if you're going electric. I've heard the V-6 setup will work but I don't have actual experience myself. As for the missing two bolt holes, haven't heard that one either. I may be in for a surprise myself.

And BTW - welcome to NastyZ. :)

7. sp1249

sp1249 New Member

Thanks everybody for the info!

8. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Be careful when buying used serp setups.

The truck and car brackets look similar, but the truck brackets sits the alternator up way high, possibly hitting the hoods on our cars.

9. sp1249

sp1249 New Member

Good point!---No matter what I bolt on, I better run a straight edge from the top of the firewall to the top of the core support, to make sure there's clearance.

10. czizza

czizza Veteran Member