Serpentine Identification

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by dcozzi, Sep 16, 2020.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I converted to a serpentine setup but, I do not know what vehicle it is from because I bought it a long time ago from a member here. I vaguely remember you had to use certain years to make it fit properly in our cars. It looks like it is from an early 90's Silverado.
    Is there a way to tell what vehicle it is from so I can get the right replacement pump? Maybe a number cast into the bracketry?

It would help if I specified Power Steering Pump.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Is there a provision for an AIR pump on the rh side?

I really thought f body and truck serp setups both use a reverse rotation pump, maybe with a difference in housings with 1 not having a heater hose provision

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I thought the truck systems had taller brackets than the Camaros.

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Only one pump for the serpentine set up as far as I know. Chevy always keeps it simple.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes... Look for numbers on the brackets so you can cross-reference to a vehicle.

If you search for a part number on ebay… It will often times list what vehicle it came from and what else it fits.
    That won't tell you if it will work for a Camaro but it will give you a clue as to what accessories mate up with those brackets.

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

There was an air pump I had to remove on the right, passenger, side. I replaced it with a blank plastic pulley wheel.

Sorry, I did not specify I was referring to a power steering pump. Are they all Type 1 and the same for pretty much every vehicle except for the bung/fitting that was SAE then changed to metric? I am thinking I had to take the bung/fitting off the v-belt based pump and put it on the serpentine based pump so the old hose would work. Sound right? It was 5+ years ago and I cannot remember. Should write all this stuff down so I do not have to reinvent the wheel every time I need to service this car. Nothing is original anymore.
    I have never felt this ignorant about something so basic on my car. Frankly, it's embarrassing.
    Now that I think about it, the water pump is reverse rotation because I had to change the fan to a counter clockwise model. Am I screwed or will it work like it should with a normally installed thermostat?
    Never did this before. Time to use the search feature.

Edit: Looks like the pump is reverse rotation not reverse flow. Should work but, I will check the radiator while it is running to see what direction the coolant is going.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, you are correct.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

This setups all use old school sag PS pumps