Setting up pinion angle

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by CamaroMan79, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I cannot raise the trans anymore. I even have a spacer between the trans mount and the trans to raise it some. Like I said this is on a lowered truck. I’m also using car motor mounts instead of the truck ones. If ai ran truck mounts the engine would sit higher and the angle would be even worse.

2. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

went for a ride today to test new pinion angle. vibes are pretty much gone. i will experiment more but my t56 is coming out. it may have been a little tired but 1500 miles of bad alignment took it out.? Lots of noise from it now. Its popping out of reverse too. going for the 600 ft lb upgrade rebuild - locally.

3. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have my pinion set at 2.4* down right now. After I work on a front brake issue I’m going to test drive and see what happens! Sorry to hear about the T56, that’s a bummer.

4. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

I think you want a 3* differential from both level platforms given my experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm setting up my coil over susp with a new moser so I need to know this too before I weld the tabs on that new diff

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member

Dick Miller "How to hook and launch" book. EXCELLENT Read.

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

door slammers book by Dave Morgan....The chassis BIBLE

I would recommend using the transmission YOKE as opposed to using the tailshaft housing as a reference..... just me.

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  7. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

I told the place that was going to rebuild the trans that I want it to handle 600 hp. A few days later - he called and rec that I trade mine in for one from Rockland Standard Gear as they make units good for up to 850 ft lbs. So I said to go ahead. When I picked it up, I see it's called "Tranzilla." Read about it and can't wait to drive it. It is installed. I am now finishing installation of a Sniper EFI, Tanks Inc kit, Air Gap RPM Manifold, and NOS! It may be running tonight!

I was able to get the trans a little higher up as I massaged the floor with an air hammer. It now has 1.375" of spacers added to the trans mount.