She wants to shoot me, which gun should she buy?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by hhott71, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My chick (5' 7") and 160 shoots her Taurus .38. She likes my smith and Wesson .38 s&w (its a true .38 but short, about the length of a 9mm). The heavier frame with smooth trigger and less muzzle rise (full length barrel, British length). She likes the ability to shoot single and double action. Just my .02. We started her off with a .22lr revolver. But once she got used to that she quickly moved up. I say its a good idea to rent the smaller caliber handgun first. She likes revolvers better aswell, for the simplicity and ease of use.

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jody - I hear women complain about the snappiness of 9mm (and .40) all of the time. Put her behind the 1911, the recoil is much more predictable.

hhott, I don't like mouse guns, but you might want to take a look at the Bersa Thunders if you want a .380
    Shockingly good PPK "clones" for half the money

3. PSV

PSV New Member

My wife carries the S&W bodyguard in 38 special and shoots it very well. She qualified with my Kimber 45 and S&W model 66 in 357 but chose to carry the 38 as its easy for her to conceal, light, and reliable. I had purchased a S&W M&P shield 9mm for her initially but she wasn't comfortable with it. We also shoot the M&P in 22 for cheap practice and the gun is identical to the larger calibers so makes for a great practice gun.

4. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

My wife has the S&W 38 special revolver "BodyGuard". And loves it. Easy to shoot and simple to handle.

RickM

5. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I tried, wanted her to try my SA 9mm 1911. Very soft shooting, but she thought it was too loud lol. :screwup:

6. deltachevy

deltachevy New Member

I love my Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.. That along with my Glock 34 covers my home defense.

I've got the Smith & Wesson Shield and Glock 26 on my list for CCW.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your post made me think of an old joke.

"When his .38 caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach , California , would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked."

This made me think that it doesn't really matter what gun you get as long as you buy good ammo.lol:p

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

My girlfriend was having trouble with a HUGE raccoon. We figure it was someones pet that got too big and mean to handle so they dumped it. I loaned her an Iver Johnson .22, 8 shot revolver I swapped for years ago. She had never shot a firearm before and was a bit timid but really liked it. I like to never got it back until I found another one at a pawn shop. It wasn't too bad as everybody wants automatics. I made sure she knew how to break it down and clean it and then taught her firearm safety (NEVER point it anywhere but a safe direction and always treat it like it's loaded).

I was up there and we were plinking when the raccoon went after her dog. She drilled it (the raccoon) right in the head from 30 feet with one shot. I made sure with my .45LC revolver but she pretty well took care of it with one shot. She now has an application in for a personal protection permit (concealed carry) which in Indiana is a lifetime permit.

Those long barrel .22 revolvers have more punch than you might think and are dead on accurate.

9. Jakeblue

Jakeblue Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Must not be too many MO type people reading this thread.

We get down there from time to time. I really love their rolls and macaroni with tomatoes sides. My favorite meal is their "bubba sammich"; Fried bolgona, melted cheese with grilled onions and a fried egg on texas toast. Awesome.

10. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

first handgun my ex ever fired was a Colt Delta 1911 chambered for 10mm.. she carries a Taurus .38

funny because after about an hour she was embarrassing a couple of WV-DOJ prison guards...lol;)