shopping for a s x s. $$$$

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

We are kind of wanting a side by side to go play in the desert, no dunes. I looked at a couple used ones, problem is I really dont know anything about them.
    5 to 10 year old units are 3/4 of a new one, No idea how many pounds of sand these used rigs have sucked thru the motor. so we stop by the dealer just to see whats available and compare models. We settle on a base model 1000 2 seat rzr, price is about $18k, okay its brand new, has a warranty, no worries.
    So we sit down and ask what the out the door price would be....right about 23k!
    tax, freight, assembly fee, plates. At that point left! maybe its a good thing I don't really have room for one or the trailer I would need to take it to the desert.

And where are all these people coming up with the money to buy all these expensive toys when the media keeps saying how everyone is out of work?
    the inventory was pretty low, the rv store where the kids got thier toy hauler has a Facebook page with all these new RV owners posting, they're selling 1 or 2 a day. jim

Zstar likes this.
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Oh god, those things are so overrated for the insane price of them. But I know Polaris makes really good stuff.
    If you want to have fun playing in the sand, find a purpose built project that someone is selling. Something with a real motor and suspension for less than half the price.
    We have the same phenomenon up here. People are buying toys up like crazy for some reason, with no money.

sandlapper and Zstar like this.
  3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Kid looked at them. Decided to get a 99 CRV as a woods beater. Lifted it, put an old set of 31's on it I had laying around. They're having a blast in it and have practically no money in it. It's pretty much junk now from hitting trees, so he's buying a 1999 ZR2 from his buddy that's not running, blown brake line. He has a bunch of running SBC's laying around, and we've done that swap many times. So for $1000 he'll have an awesome woods beater. If he'd bought the side by side he'd be sick if anything would happen to it. I couldn't justify that investment.

Zstar likes this.
  4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

My wife works for a bank on the lending side. The amount of debt A LOT of people carry is astounding. I would be in the nut house if I had to carry as much debt as these people just to have a yard full of toys. I personally know guys in the same profession as me who drive brand new trucks that cost $750 a month...then have big mortgages, boat payment, ATV payment, Side by side payment, wife's vehicle payment, camper payment, etc, etc....then complain how broke they are all the time.

carr911 and Zstar like this.
  5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

JIMMAC said:
    " And where are all these people coming up with the money to buy all these expensive toys when the media keeps saying how everyone is out of work?"

My neighbor and I recently had this very same conversation. Boggles the mind.

6. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Who is really to blame, the borrowers or the lenders? We are fast approaching the same conditions that caused
    our great recession. I am hoarding cash.

roadrace2 likes this.
  7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Sand rails are a blast and can use a VW bug engine.

8. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

we are at a point in our life that zero debt is a great feeling. houses are paid off and IF we really wanted a dirt toy we could just pay cash for it. The key word is Want vs Need. Does it make sense to have a 15to 20 thousand dollar toy and trailer sitting here just to be used once a month? Thats why we were able to pay everything off, we over think it and don't really splurge on Wants. I dont want a project type vehicle for offloading. I want something my wife could stick the grandkid in and drive out for a hour and not worry about having it break down miles from a tool box and parts. jim

Zstar likes this.
  9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Friends of mine were at Glamis sand dunes for Thanksgiving this year . They said they were amazed at the number of Side by sides or UTV''s they saw on the dunes . They also mentionedthat there were very few high hp Sand rails there which is very unusual

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I'd check into rentals for the few times a year you want to actually go play in the sand.

I could pay cash for one too, if I wanted one bad enough, but don't think I'd get value for my money.