shortened wire harness?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the GM wire harness kit for ls7 crate motors. Has anyone attempted to shorten the wire harness? Specifically the two main bundles that attach the fuse box and ecm...

Depending on where you mount it, there could be 3 ft extra.

thanks

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Richard all of of the wires are freaking ridiculously long. I basically shorten everything. If you pull the convoluted tubing off you see even more wire folded back on itself. What a junk harness!

Attached Files:

76z28 likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

This is how much I cut out

Attached Files:

4. Goat

Yep, that is a lot of waste. To give some credit to GM, I suppose too long is way better than too short! They don't know what vehicle these are going into, but I agree, overly excessive.

The main ones I'm concerned with are the two large bundles attached to the ECM and fuse box. They will take up a lot of space if not shortened. If possible, I would like to shorten the wires and re-attach using the same pins as opposed to splicing wires back together. What was your approach?

5. badazz81z28

^^^ the wires that were too long...are not affected by the car which the engine would be installed. I shorted injector wires, oil pressure...you name it

6. Goat

I think you may have misunderstood my question. There are two ways to 'shorten' a wire harness that is connected at both ends. You can 'cut out' a section in the middle, leaving each end intact, and then solder/splice the remaining wires.

The other way is to cut the amount of wire you want to remove at the end where it attaches to the box and re-attach the wire by installing the same kind of pin/connector and re-inserting into the box.

I was asking which way you did it...

7. badazz81z28

I didn't shorten the main harness. However if you did I would buy a bunch of ECM pins and re-pin the connectors.

In the fuse box side, you can re-pin it but the pins seem impossible to find. You can splice, but it would double the size because of the room for the splices. I was going to cut it and use a weather tight connectors

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. badazz81z28

^^^ there's only 3-4 different terminals and most of them are 2 different ones

EFI connection is a better source

10. Mark Ulm

Mark Ulm New Member

Hi, I am installing a crate LS3 with connect and cruise. Wayyy too much harness. I also want to shorten by cutting and putting new pins into the ECM connectors. Did anyone end up doing that and if so can you provide advice on how you did it?... part numbers, crimper etc.. thanks so much OR if you ended up cut and splicing I’d be interested in hearing that as well. Specifically what type of splice.