Since all you guys are lawnmow'n yard equipment gurus, help me out.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't want to Hi-Jack Sal's thread. I'm buying a gas mower this weekend and I'm a little paranoid given everything that's said on the net about the ethanol in the fuel and damage it does to small engines. What are you guys doing to stabilize the fuel to prevent damage? I don't think you can get ethanol free fuel any more so whats the trick to trouble free usage?

If I buy a used mower can the damage be undone cheaply or will I be buying over priced carburetors and such to make them work right?

2. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I haven't been doing anything, for either the Ford 8N, self-propelled hand mower, or John Deere 110. Just 87 octane gas from the local gas station. I've had to rebuild the carb of the 8N twice, but that's the only fuel related thing I've noticed. The 8N I've been using for 25 years now. The other two are newer, the John Deere we bought sometime in the early 2000s, I think, and the self-propelled hand mower in the late 2000s, I recall.

At our cabin up north, there are several places that sell 90 octane recreational fuel("rec fuel"), for the ATVs, boats, etc. I think that's not supposed to have ethanol. If you can find one of those around your place, that might be what you want to use if you're worried about ethanol.

3. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Hey Knuckle, long time no see. I use this, I use it in my 4 stroke trimmer AND my mower. It's ethanol free fuel. This is all I run. Lowes carries it however, you can get it for less on Amazon

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-32..._asFqBmKdF0P7nypRY4zcYxwBcNV5nocaAl2qEALw_wcB

Bigger can:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-110-fl-oz-4-Cycle-Fuel/50328935

4. SS Performance

SS Performance Veteran Member

During the season when you are using the mower regularly just use regular gas. FYI the ethanol starts to separate from the gas within about 30 days of manufacture. Don't get 5 gallons just use a 1 gallon can.

At the end of the season use the True Fuel. This will wash the ethanol out of the system and won't cause any damage if any remains in the system.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  5. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

I've been mowing professionally for over 15 years and have never run anything other than ethanol fuel in commercial grade toro mowers and have never had an issue related to fuel. Have the same zero turn mower with over 500 hours on it runs like a top. Primarily use a 32" toro walk behind with a twin kawaski engine also never had any fuel related issues.

Zstar likes this.
  6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Around Southern indiana, if you get premium fuel from a CountryMark station, it is ethanol free. i've also seen ethanol free fuel at Sunoco stations. When I was down in the Gulfport Ms. area, I saw a couple of stations that had "ETHANOL FREE" on the front of the canopy.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Look around at your gas stations. I still buy pure gasoline here for every engine I own. It costs about 30 cents a gallon more than corn syrup, but I've never had an engine problem using gas. My friend had the valves seize up in his mower using 10% corn syrup. I don't use any ethanol contaminated gas because I can still buy the real gas.

8. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I too, have not had any fuel problems in 6 years in my 06 Cub cadet tractor. I change the filter annually and run some Sea Foam thru twice a year and she runs great. All my neighbors have problems, but they don't do regular maintenance.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll look around at the pumps I just kind of assumed everything had ethanol in it now. I'll be mowing year round out here. Once a week now and once every two weeks come October/November. I wondered if the people bitching about the mowers only lasting a year just didn't store it correctly. I beat the hell out of my mower in California and it ran forever. I'm much better about maintenance now so with that and what you guys are telling me I think I'll keep it running.

10. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

I have a Troy Bilt push mower about 7 years old, I use regular ethanol gas (no additives) starts on first pull every time. I change the oil and air filter every season.