Since all you guys are lawnmow'n yard equipment gurus, help me out.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Aug 10, 2018.

1. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

No fuel issues here. Even storing the mower in the severe cold for six months. I use regular gas

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm sure that Lucas makes some sort of additive that would suit your needs. Next time you're at Vato Zone buying 02 sensors, check with the expert behind the counter..... :D

sal70ss likes this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My Cub Cadet is 19 years old and I’ve never had a fuel problem running 87 octane with 10% ethanol.

It gets used all year for mowing or snow blowing so the fuel never sits in it for more than a month or so.

My old weed eater had the fuel line soften from ethanol but I replaced the line and never had an issue after that.

I think most manufacturers are using materials which tolerate the alcohol now.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

My local station has the ethanol free for around 5 bucks a gal last time I checked. I have a 2014 MTD push mower. The carb is plastic. I just use regular 87. I had to pull the carb apart 3 times in 3 years. I replaced the rubber line because I kept getting small black chunks clogging the main jet. No problems since. I have a small yard so I only fill the tank part way to do the job and try to run it dry. Lately though the grass shoots seed stocks 12-15 " long just 2 or 3 days after cutting. I ended up leaving the tank fuller now and I get to mow the front and back twice on a tank. When the season is done I just run dry and cover with roof felt with a big plastic tub on top till next season. I run all my small engines dry. Learned that after some carb replacements especially the weed whacker with the tygone tubes. They crumble in a short time if the regular gas is left in.

5. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Yes the old lady behind the counter at Autozone will give you the best advice if you ask her. Lol

6. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

KD-
    Ethanol free gas is available in Arizona at certain locations. You can do an internet search for ethanol free gas in Arizona to find the location nearest you.
    You can run regular pump gas with ethanol (10% - 15%) in your mower and other 4 stroke engines without any problem as long as its relatively fresh. Small 2 stroke engines like chain saws and weed whips are a lot more sensitive to gas with ethanol in it especially if its been sitting for any length of time. I've found that an additive like Stabil or similar is cheap insurance for any gas that will be stored for a weeks or months.

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’ve had my Honda HRX 21” with the GC190 engine since 2005, and I’ve done exactly nothing to it fuel-wise. It gets 87 from the local pump (BJs for the last few years), and hasn’t given me a lick of trouble.
    I change the oil once a year, clean the filter, sharpen the blades and start it up. It’s had one new filter and one spark plug in all that time.

I have seen the fuel line on a cheap POS John Deere weed eater from a box store eat itself, but this thing was also not cared for in any way. Maybe it was the fuel, or maybe it was just neglect that killed it.

8. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I will only put ethanol free gas in all my small engines and Camaro's.
    I run ethanol in daily drivers.

Here's a site that shows the stations that sell ethanol free gas.
    Find your state at the bottom.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

budro6968 likes this.
  9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

KD

I wouldn't worry one lick about running E10 in anything you buy today.

The only problem I've ever had is when I didn't run the fuel line empty on a snow blower and let it sit with fuel in the carb for 7 or 8 months. That was over 10 years ago. I now have one rig that I use year round - so no need to worry about E10 related problems.

As you mow year round, you shouldn't have any problems.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Found The one close to me on the map. About 400 Ft from my house.