Sinuses... someone needs to figure out..

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Earlsfat, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Fawn

Fawn Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I haven't tried the netti pot, I'm worried about this same thing... Although your snorting story made me LOL at work!!!

I have this special problem with nose spray...you know that painful awful feeling when you whack your funny bone really hard? I get that type of pain when things go up my nose, but it runs up through my brain, wraps around my head and shoots down my spine. I have a lot of "special" neurological issues, no one can explain this pain yet...but I always say NO when they want to prescribe me nose spray for a sinus infection or severe cold. Besides, the few times I am desperate enough to endure the pain of the spray, it does NOTHING anyhow. It just doesn't go in far enough.

They wanted to do surgery when I was in my teens, I said NO to that as well. Normal sinuses are goat horn or ram horn shaped, on the CT scan mine are like a conch shell, they wind around and around over and over going smaller and smaller. The ENT doc called them "alien" sinuses that he had NEVER seen before. Oh yay. I'm sure pics of my sinuses are in some medical journal now.

The only thing that ever helped me was Drixoral which for some reason is no longer being sold in the US. No one can tell me why. I'm getting ready to order it from Canada.

2. Jeraboa

Jeraboa Veteran Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  3. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

I use this stuff called "Alkalol". Here is the spiel right off the label:

"Alkalol is an alkaline saline solution specially formulated to clean and moisturize the nasal passages, dissolve mucus, kill germs and bacteria, and provide natural relief from the symptoms of sinusitis and allergies".

Go to a "real" drug store to buy it, not one of the big chain places. It comes in a dark brown plastic bottle, 16 oz. Costs about 3 bucks a bottle.

Fill one of those small squeeze bulb things then tilt your head back until you are looking at the ceiling. Now stick the bulb thing in your nose and slowly fill your sinuses with Alkalol. Keep it in there until it begins to burn then lower your head over the sink and let the stuff drain out. A bunch of gross snot, mucus, etc. will come out too. In a nutshell it is solvent. Works great.

4. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Tried telling the wife that too.....but....umm...no dice. :screwup:

5. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

If you order, get me some, I'll pay you for it. I used to use that ALL the time....

Oh...and something else we use here - I have a BIG 60cc syringe that we fill up and squirt up the intakes with. Talk about pressure loading :)

6. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I get sinus infections each year around this time and they last till early summer.

7. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

My wife has been plagued with sinus infections, always on the same side, for years even having had 2 surgeries to supposedly correct the problem. This fall, she had to had to have the rearmost upper molar extracted because a root canal just couldn't be done because of the location of the tooth and its roots. She hasn't had even a hint of a "sinus" problem this year and the endodontist said that her tooth had probably been infected for a number of years and that what everyone had assumed was a sinus problem was actually a tooth problem.
    Food for thought.

8. TBART1970

TBART1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

I'll have to try that Neti Pot, or something similar.

Every morning I wake up I'm stuffed up, and usually stay congested all day in at least one nostril.

Has anyone looked into getting a deviated septum fixed? I know I've had a few nose breaks through out my life playing sports, getting into fights, smarting off to "Mom", etc.

A guy I used to work with had his corrected (Septoplasty) and said it made a world of difference. I talked to my doctor's "physician's assistant" and he said it's a bunch of hoopla. I'm going to go for a second opinion from, of course, and ENT doctor.

For those that don't know what a deviated septum, or Septoplasty is....

http://www.answers.com/topic/septoplasty