slotted upper control arm shaft?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by purpleflame, Mar 30, 2011.

1. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

So I was looking at the UB machine upper control arms from pit stop usa and noticed they have sets with slotted openings in their shaft. So what does this do as far as the slotted shaft goes, can this make more caster by sliding the control arm forward or back? seems like a hella cool idea anyone have any input on these? heres a pic.
    http://pitstopusa.com/images/F14605389.jpg

2. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Yes, the circle trackers run staggered front end set-ups and it makes it a lot easier to hit their numbers(alignment)

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

DSE also produces shafts with a similar design...

4. purpleflame

Cool these are only 56 dollars a piece, wonder why so cheap?
    DSE is 700 for the pair, just lookin at the cost alone makes me go duh!
    other than the bump stop missing cant see why they wouldnt work as long as you order the correct 7 3/4" configuration for the bolts and order their ball joint they seem to use the bigger truck one and sell a stock or tall.

5. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

they only fit 6" bolt centers and you need a narrow mount so that the slots will even allow the A-arm to be moved sideways, the truck ball joint will not work in your spindles, the "tall" ball joint only ends up being 1/4" after reaming the spindle.

6. purpleflame

they said they come 10.5 down to 8 1/4, but they also have non slotted at 7 3/4" which I was told what the stock camaro has. have not measured to verify yet. just looking at options. the guy I spoke with told me the roundy guys use em for a season then throw em out and buy new ones.thinking at 50 a side I could do the same for 10 years before I got to the cost of the DSE. my main idea was just looking at shaft and getting some made. why dont you guys make em that way to help with more alignment, cant be that hard to machine the shafts and offer this.

7. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Why don"t we make them with slots? because it's almost useless, the shaft has to be made much wider to give room for the shaft to be moved sideways and not hit the bushings.
    As for the dimentions you list above they are the slug slots NOT the hole center dimentions, the hole centers is 6", using the slugs that will give you the widest bolt center spacing are 3/8" each so 3/8" X 2 +6" = 6 3/4" you are 1" short of the needed 7 3/4"!!!!

I've said this before if you are not a circle track chassis guy you will get in trouble thinking you can use some of those parts, why do you think we make our own? the cheap circle track a-arms are sacrificial parts, meaning they are made to bend in case they tag the wall or another car, easy and cheap to replace in the pits, this also means if you hit a pot hole you may fined your self needing a new A-arm.

I understand the want for cheap parts but we make A-arms that are half the price of others that do the same thing an as strong but much stronger than throw away circle track A-arms, fact, they even told you that they replace them every season, that is if they survive the season!, I understand you are also focused on the oval slug deal but they only have 3/8" of lateral adjustment that is about 1* of caster, not worth the expense.

8. purpleflame

that is true, these are definitely circle track only stuff just seems like a decent concept but your right not for our application of driving on the street.
    thanks for the great knowledge you got and your products are nice stuff, I always seem to be one who likes to make my own stuff just for the knowledge of trial and error of learning, But Im sure geometry and suspension design is not something I wanna try to concour this lifetime. Just want a better understanding of it. think Im gonna go with new bushings top and bottom and a good set of shocks and springs, big brakes, and possibly the offset shaft. hows that for now?