Small block 350 engine builds?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by BastardBerlinetta, Sep 21, 2020.

1. BastardBerlinetta

BastardBerlinetta New Member

Hey ladies and gents,

just wanted to start this off with I'm very fresh to the forums (made the profile about 6 minutes ago to be exact so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place). I've always had an interest for cars but never really had any knowledge to support my own build. I came across a listing for a 1980 Camaro knowing nothing about the car other than it had been bored out to a 350 and had a bunch of unknown engine mods in the somewhat running motor. I've just recently come to the end of the rebuild (aside from paint) and I'm left feeling like I want more from the engine. I was wondering if anyone had any recommended build lists along with an estimated hp / trq for the build. I'm looking to be in the 450-500+whp range for a mainly street / drag car and I'm open to literally any ideas and I appreciate any help along the way since I'm still very much in the novice range of knowledge. I'm also still in college dealing with that and many more expenses so the cheaper the build the better and is much appreciated.
    IMG_0339.jpg IMG_0401.jpg IMG_0402.jpg IMG_0432.jpg IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1330.jpg IMG_2878.JPG
    Look forward to any replies and can provide whatever extra information yah need.

~Cheers

JStucker likes this.
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If this Camaro is to become limited street usage / Drag race car with 500hp i would suggest getting a crate motor from Blueprint or Shafiroff

At your hp goals it would be a minimum of $5k to get there

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    BastardBerlinetta likes this.
  3. BastardBerlinetta

Ideally it would be more street than drag but I will definitely give them a search, I'm also fine with doing the build myself rather than crates if you have a suggestion for that. Thank you!

muscl car likes this.
  4. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

For this much power and to do it as frugal as can be... A Big Block comes into mind, just a mild build and you're already there or perhaps adding a power adder such as Nitrous to the Small Block.

What is the condition of the rest of the car?
    Can the rest of the drivetrain handle the power increase?
    Once you have the power... is the suspension up to snuff?

5. BastardBerlinetta

Haven't thought of the big block route, do you have a specific build in mind I can checkout?
    Rest of the car is in pretty good condition I was planning on scrapping the current trans and rear out because they have their days, as for the suspension that has been completely swapped out and is great.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car ,The transmission and gear ratio. And your budget . But you also need just how much power you can handle .There are a number of different books from HP Books .Such as "How to hot rod a small block chevy" is one example I have help my friends build cars for people and they couldn`t handle it . You also need to build the car to handle on what you are going to do safely.There are those on this site who have done it in different ways that can help.Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

7. BastardBerlinetta

Yeah that's fair I've seen small snippets of the suggested book but it seems like it might be worth purchasing, I appreciate the concern a lot as well. I do have a past with racing / track and have handled cars much higher than that range but that is important to keep in mind, thank you!

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Welcome! Looks like the car has come quite a way already. Interior looks good!

9. BastardBerlinetta

For any future replies I guess it would be useful to give a general budget, I'm willing to spend 3 - 5k in engine modifications alone as long as they will last me and not break down after a few pulls.

10. BastardBerlinetta

Thank you! I'll hopefully add a few more pics to the thread later on :)

xten likes this.