small specs, on plugs next move please ?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by victtor, Oct 5, 2008.

1. victtor

victtor Veteran Member

HI decided today to try lower my fuel presure down to 6psi was running 6.3psi car made more mph ,pulled plugs noticed some very faint specks on porcelain on 3 plugs about 2 to 3 specks per plug looks silver in colour obvisly small detonation ,rest off plug looks good timming mark on bend, im running 6psi, taking out 7 deg off timming, useing 98 unleaded bp ultimate pump fuel
    Kit is zex perimeter plate using there factory jetting off 150hp which is 62n/53f yes i know it backwards in jet spread to other kits have no idea why ,is octane off fuel to low or do i take more timming out,or put more fuel back into it and then pull timming out ,motor is zz454 b/b chev 9.6comp 230/236 hyd roller victor jnr,got told with motor that low in comp putting race gas like c16 could make it slower plugs are ngk v power -8s
    thanks once again for invaluable info from you guys
    victtor
    vic jnr racing new zealand

2. Maliboost

Maliboost Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the color is good, take out one more Deg of timing, load up a new set of plugs & giver a go. if that works out well, then maybe also add another 1/4Lb of fuel pressure. I dunno about over there, but over here pump gas it not as consitent as you would think. getting a "good load" of fuel & basing your setup off of that could be risky if you get a "bad load" & you get a good air day. could start to detonate again.

Bob

3. victtor

victtor Veteran Member

Thanks Maliboost for advise i dont realy want to put more fuel back in it just slows it down ,what about one step colder in plug say ngk 9 or raise octane off fuel maybe
    thanks
    victtor

4. Maliboost

Maliboost Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the timing mark is in the right place I would not change the plug. trying to raise the octane is the right thing to do. doing that by adding stuff into the gas can be hit or miss.

Bob