Smaller brake servo firewall tidy up

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by philip riou, Sep 8, 2019.

1. philip riou

philip riou Member

Hi, I want to clean up my firewall and am planning on shaving the engine bay and fabricating some steel panels to smooth it all out. I want to relocate the brake booster, or fit a smaller one, or fit something like a Wilwood master cylinder with no booster.
    Trouble is the car is a street legal 454 with supercharger and nitrous so can run over 1000bhp. Will these smaller boosters affect the stopping power?
    Any suggestions? Thanks

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Fitting a smaller manual MC would be the easiest way to clean things up and gain some real estate under the hood.

Wilwood and other brake companies makes several sized MC based on your brake package and piston volume, I would work with one company of your choice.

Also, pedal ratio would need to change going from power to manual setup. Calipers see line pressure, be it vacuum assisted or manual, it can't tell the difference. A little more leg force is needed for a manual, but not as much as most think.

3. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

yes, but you can compensate for the reduced assist by increasing the pedal ratio as G72Zed mentioned. There's a bit of math involved getting a brake system to work properly once you start swapping parts so make sure you do your homework and get advice from professionals.

Personally I'd be looking at hydroboost setup if you're planning to use all that HP

4. Zoomin

Zoomin Veteran Member

Why hydroboost if you can lock up the tires with a manual booster? Money would be better spent on upsizing brakes, imo

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

With the correct "complete" brake package with the right pads & pedal ratio, you should be good, especially when your trying to "tidy" up and de-clutter the engine compartment.

Do your research and homework, call a few of the top brake companies and see what they say about your project.