Smartest way to get to a 350?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by FunBobby, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

L31 vortec engine. With the gm rwm jet 350 cam in an otherwise stock vortec 350 I ran consistant 13.6s at 103mph.

2. 79CamaroVERT

79CamaroVERT Member

A crate engine is your most secure bet... remember "Rebuilt is NOT New".. I went with a 350 Crate engine three years ago in my 79 Camaro, and it was the best move I have ever made.. brand new engine w/ warranty. Definatley a Win-Win situation.. IMHO

3. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

The smartest way is definitely a crate engine. Might not be the cheapest and you might not learn as much....but if you go with any other option you might end up with many unintended lessons....I suspect most of us have been down that road....

4. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, I was trying to word my question in a way that would open up the options. These threads are often about someone needing to get an engine without having any money. I have money I can spend on an engine, but that doesn't mean I want to waste it. If I send someone $5500k, or $6000k for a turnkey engine, I'd like to know if I'm paying them $2000 to bolt accessories on it. In my case, I haven't worked on cars for very long, so I don't have a lot of parts in my shop I can pull from. So it seems that turn-key versus long-block simply comes down to math, and figuring out how much I'd save by "assembling" it myself.

p.s. - I really do appreciate the opinions - giving me a lot to think about!

5. 79CamaroVERT

79CamaroVERT Member

Agree with Z/28DUG... Many of us have been down the "rebuild" road, sometimes more trouble than it's worth.. These days it's about reliability and minimal maintenance.. I don't get under my car unless it's absolutely necessary... not as young as I used to be.. LOL !

6. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

As a guy who has 3rd degree burns from being burned on a rebuild by a BIG name builder I'm throwing my vote in with hutchenc and roadrace2, for performance with reliability, and a good warranty, get a 350 vortec long block. It gets you the 1 piece rear main seal that's noted for never leaking, comes stock with a roller cam, so no problems with cams/lifters going flat with today's oil. It has the vortec heads, the best flowing small block heads ever installed at the factory, hypereutectic pistons, and the PM rods. The 2 bolt version is $50 cheaper than a 4 bolt, and its plenty strong for up to a 450 HP build. With an aftermarket intake, 4 barrel carb, and headers, you will be over 300 gross HP. With a mild cam you're pushing 330 to 350 hp. You'll need a vortec specific intake like a Performer or Performer RPM, and a flywheel or flexplate for the 1 pc rear seal crank. As mentioned, the vortec block will require you to run an electric fuel pump, no big deal. The rest of your 307 externals like water pump, distributor, and starter can be used. The GMPP 350 Ramjet cam mentioned by Cataldo, #14097395, is a popular upgrade to the vortec engine and can be done without any modifications to the vortec heads.

7. gpintauro

gpintauro Veteran Member

go with a crate engine....If you need help I know a guy in Inman that could help you ;)

8. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

FunBobby, the Carter P4070 is a popular electric pump for a reasonable price for a carbureted application. It's rated at 72 GPH free flow, and is preset to 4 - 6 PSI, so it doesn't require a fuel pressure regulator. Carter P4070 for $86.99 at Jegs.

[​IMG]

With an electric fuel pump I like to run an oil pressure safety switch Like this one from Jegs for $22.99. This way, if your engine dies, or there's an oil pressure problem, the fuel pump shuts down when the oil pressure drops below 5 PSI.

[​IMG]

10. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Heck of an offer! Thanks gpintauro!