Snow!!

Discussion in 'The Great State of Texas!' started by BillyDean7173, Jan 10, 2021.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

Well to respond in reverse... HA!!! I’ve never heard of that ring but it’s very interesting.
    -
    3 times!!! WTFooey! I hope no one was on them! :(
    I’ll have to research that.
    -
    I have never heard of that ritual either.
    -
    My sign fabrication background is in signs. I’ve built signs you’ve seen in Las Vegas. Later I was hired in the Seattle area to help build the signs for the Mariner’s new baseball stadium. Amongst other things, I was to be the lead on building the 77’ long HIT IT HERE CAFE & BUDWEISER neon sign. Note that’s it’s no longer Bud at but some other sponsor though the cafe part is still part of it.
    Here’s the point. I was hired for my experience, especially for enormous neon signs. The weird thing is that they would never show me the rendering of the sign in its place at the stadium. I asked many questions because their schematic sucked. They wanted the neon transformers in what I felt were in an inefficient front location and I asked if there would be rear access anywhere, no. Finally I find out it’s going to hang off the face of the right field upper deck, flush to the wall and flush to the top. Them> The top must open to service any transformers mounted there. Me> Well fine but you know that people are going to set drinks, food and who knows what all on there. We should angle the top to disallow that because stuff will get knocked onto those people below and all over the sign AND neon. They> Hmmmm well ok. :p
    Now, after the fact, I’ve got to make sure I build in some adjustment for the curve of the wall which they didn’t tell me nor show on the schematic! I don’t need a schematic, never have, just show me what it’s to look like, tell me how big, what’s on it and where it goes. Order the materials and leave me alone. I forget how many sections it was, 10 probably, maybe 11.
    So most of the Bud section is literally covered in neon with the giant letters themselves and top to bottom angled neon slashes about every 8”. All the while I have been complaining about the controls having a big front access door. Once I knew where it was going I just about got belligerent because it would be behind neon!
    So a few sections would be attached on site and lifted into place. I could never do a full test at the shop because it was too big and they didn’t want to spend the time assembling even loosely. So, very expensive hourly rate for a crane and I think it was 5k to rent the scaffolding. Get these next bits! Up it goes, away goes the crane, all the neon is attached. Down comes the scaffolding THEN they test it. It doesn’t work!
    Now the scaffolding has to come back! The kicker...the sign hangs down to where you could stand on a chair to access a service door on the back! I think this was resolved later.

Da-bigguy likes this.
  2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like some clued out bean-counter making decisions there regarding that neon sign!!

It seems the ring being made from the steel of the bridge is just a myth, according to Wikipedia but the idea behind the ring being a reminder is still true. The bridge they talk about collapsed twice and unfortunately a number of lives were lost, hence why it has probably been used as an example for the Iron Ring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Ring

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Had good time in it!

Attached Files:

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  4. KingofThings

They could be at least partially responsible and if they were they should’ve been pitched right on out the door on their beans! ;)
    I was just about continuously upset. I even asked them why they hired me to bring in my knowledge if they weren’t going to listen to me or answer my questions. It was SO weird.
    -
    Is that the bridge where a cable eye snapped?
    While I’m not an engineer I’ve built large things and I just have an inate sense of what the materials should be, where braces and supports should be. I’ve never had any structure, of any material, fail.

5. Da-bigguy

I'm not sure, I will have to do some research on the bridge collapses. Some people have that intuitive sense and others are absolutely clueless!!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

Isn’t that true and often sad unfortunately.

Da-bigguy likes this.
  7. Da-bigguy

Agreed! I see people on the clueless end of things far too often!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

What has or...actually hasn't, happened in 'schools' for a looooooong time now. Notice, I don't believe they are true schools anymore. :(

Da-bigguy likes this.
  9. Da-bigguy

Agreed, I think schools are no longer areas for learning but are for indoctrinating more than anything else, trying to make everyone think 'correct' thoughts. Hopefully engineering schools, being more technical are managing to resist most of that as technology is technology and calling it something else doesn't actually make it work differently.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

We have a teacher in the family and can't help but notice that very few HS graduates are picking that as a college choice and career. The future is not looking good. County schools are desperate for subs, hiring parents in some places. $10 - 12 an hour with no benefits doesn't attract many applicants. And then there are today's parentless kids.....

KingofThings likes this.