Snowing yet, Chuck?

bfmgoalie

Veteran Member
Jun 14, 2008
Gansevoort, New York
Unless the high for the day is -20F, you haven't experienced cold...;)
I had a hockey game in Canada (north of Montreal) when I was in my late teens. We arrived at noontime. It was -23F. The game started at 7:00. It was -32F. We're getting back on the bus at the end of the game and 3 players told the coach if he scheduled a game up there again, they're not going.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I had a hockey game in Canada (north of Montreal) when I was in my late teens. We arrived at noontime. It was -23F. The game started at 7:00. It was -32F. We're getting back on the bus at the end of the game and 3 players told the coach if he scheduled a game up there again, they're not going.
Who won the game?

bfmgoalie

Veteran Member
Jun 14, 2008
Gansevoort, New York
Who won the game?

Are you kidding me? We never even came close to beating the Canadians. Here's a good one:

I didn't play for my high school. I was on a traveling team. High school was highly rated in the state. The team had a game scheduled down near Cornell University (Where Ken Dryden played). This team was rated even higher. Never lost to them before.

I picked up the Sunday paper to look and see how the game went. My high school lost..... 17-0. Outshot 152-4. What the hell was that all about? It couldn't be true.

As it turned out, Cornell started a program which brought Canadians down to play for this high school team so they could "groom" them to play for the college. These players were only 17-18 years old. I was told their skill levels was above and beyond expectations.

I could tell you a story about the Great One but I was embarassed in that game........

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
Snowed sideways here all day, we ended up with about 5-6" with a crust on top. What I thought was impressive was the snow we had earlier where it was in the high sixties and started off as rain and ended up with several inches of heavy snow breaking trees. I had no idea that it could snow that hard and fast to even stick with those warm temperatures just hours prior.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN

Was the game played indoors or outside? If it was an indoor game and you just had to walk from the arena to the bus (2 - 3 minute walk?), you didn't really experience significant cold.

I had a morning paper route and delivered the paper 365 days per year. I've delivered newspapers in the coldest part of the day when the air temps were all the way down to -55F. We won't even discuss windchills.

And that's not the coldest I've experienced. In the early 80's we hit -64F air temp. During a 10 day stretch our HIGH temp was -20. Throw in the windchill for some of those days we hit -135F.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
This evening my thermometer is sitting at 0 degrees with 55 mph wind. Tonight is forecast to drop to around 10-15 below temp and that same strong wind. I didn't bother to figure out what that means for wind chill. Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder with the high temp staying below 0 and the wind continuing. Tomorrow night's forecast is for 20-30 below depending on whose forecast you believe, but the wind should be less.
The good news is that this pocket of cold air isn't supposed to move south and east like they often do. It is though to move back north into Canada so you guys in Minnesota shouldn't get it.

But, this is normal weather here so no climate changing here yet.