So confused

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by stoney2677, May 6, 2012.

1. stoney2677

stoney2677 Veteran Member

Been doing research on 049 heads for months now. Most of what I've seen is good. People claiming well into the 500hp range, even 600. I was told recently by a local engine builder that 525hp is prob my max. He would install a large intake valve maybe some porting but that's pretty much it. Is it possible someone with several years experience building engines isnt familiar with 049 heads.
    Current set up:
    454 30 over assuming 10:1 (some work was done to motor not 100% sure)
    Trw forged pistons (again assuming domed to get that but not sure)
    232 .562 lift cam (planned on going bigger)
    Eddy air gap intake
    Holley dp 800
    Cast crank so thinking 5500rpm is prob my limit

What are some opinions of the heads in question? Looking for 550hp minimum. Can I get that staying at 5500? Go to aluminum? All opinions welcome. Thanks.

2. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

You can make 2000 horsepower with peanut port truck heads and tiny 2.06" valves,but the fact is that if you bolted better heads onto it you would make even more power. Decent aftermarket heads will almost always make more power then stock heads even on a stock low compression truck engine. Guys make 500 hpat 9000 rpm out of 8.5:1 305's with totally unported smog heads and a Qjet carb,but they are really taking a 600 hp engine and restricting it with crappy heads. If all you wanted was a 500 hp 305 you could probably do it at 7000 rpm if you used better heads.

So yes,you can make 600 or more hp out of a 468 with mildly worked 049's,but if you bolted on a set of Brodix heads you would make 650 or more. Even if your 468 was super mild and only made 425 hp with 049 heads you would still find 50 or more hp with better heads. As long as you keep adding camshaft duration to any engine you can pretty much keep making more power,but that doesnt means its the ultimate way to do the job.

3. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

You can spin a cast crank higher than that. It's mroe about how many times you can do it. If it's a mostly-street car only seeing the dragstrip occasionally, you can probably get many years out of it. The crank in my truck's big block is just a stock cast crank (properly machined and balanced). I take it up a little over 6500 when I'm racing it. No problems for the years it's now been in the engine.

Are you not satisfied with a low-500HP level from your engine? If you want more, the aftermarket beckons you. I have AFR heads on my mild-ish 454 and it makes maybe mid 500s, realistically. I could do more, but like Rick said, I kept the cam and compression moderate and used a good set of heads to get to my power goal. You could make the same power with factory ovals, but it would probably take more cam and compression to get there.

4. stoney2677

Ok. At what point do you spend more money porting, etc than on a new set of heads. I have the heads now so if I can use them, great. To get between 550 and 600 what's the best route? This car drives maybe 500 miles a year. Never in traffic just driving and having fun. Would see some highway as well power through out the band would be good. Needs to idle at a light but beyond that I'm ok with a radical set up.

5. stoney2677

I've had a low 500 level car before. Would like to take it a bit further this time. Have no problem changing the cam, assumed I'd have to anyway. With that small of a cam do you think a good set of aluminums can get me there? As opposed to working the current heads and changing the cam? What do you consider moderate compression?

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

How far you go depends on your budget,and how much sense it makes. I found a set of fully ported bare 049's that had been run hard on a race engine,all for $300. They needed the seats redone,the guides replaced,new valves,springs,retainers ect. By the time I was done the guy had about $1400 into them(that was to set them up for a .750" lift roller cam too). They went onto a 700 hp pump gas 496. In hindsight,it was a lot to spend on stock heads.

I run a set of GMPP L-88 aluminum heads on my 439,with a stock GM .560" lift flat tappet cam and 11:1 compression it makes over 600 hp on pump gas. All I did to them was a bowl blend job. You can get those heads assembled with flat tappet/hydro roller springs for about $1850. Thats about the best deal I know of.

7. stoney2677

So what I'm gathering is 550hp should not be that hard to hit in your opinion. Even 600 if that's where I wanted to go with these heads.

8. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

My 454 has the smallest AFR 305 rectangular port heads with full CNC work. They are monsters for flow- probably more than you'll ever need on a street/strip 454. My compression is in the high 9s and I use a Comp XS282S solid flat tappet cam. 2" full length headers into dual 3's. Single plane Vic Jr and 800 double pumper. Home-tweaked HEI ignition running locked at 36*.

It goes fast enough I can believe it makes about 550, which is what I expected it would. It runs fine on pump premium.

9. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

AFR 305's with the CNC chamber option is our "go to" aluminum head for people willing to spend more than Performer RPM money. Put a set on a 10:1 502, mild solid roller in a river boat, by the performance chart listed for the jet and impeller he was running it made over 600 HP. We've installed 2 sets of these heads on 454's (pump gas) that are destined to hit the Friday night street drags, but the track isn't open yet and we're not quite finished one of them yet. Nice heads for the money.

10. stoney2677

how much are these said heads? how much work was done to them also? thanks.