So..Do AFR's Eliminators REALLY make power?? Look here.

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Rick WI, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

:cool: 355 CI
    230 @ .050
    .550 lift
    1.6 intake
    1.5 exhaust
    Flat Tappet
    10.8 Compression
    Performer RPM air gap out of the box
    20 year old 3310
    AFR Eliminator 195 direct out of the box
    1 3/4 standard out of the box headers
    No exhaust
    Water Pump only

SAE Corrected HP 480
    SAE Corrected Torque 450

All done at 6500
    Idles at 650

Amazing amount of power for OUR dyno which I know is "correctly" "corrected" to OEM spec. SAE correction factors.

Given EVERY other combination of 355 that has been on this dyno over the past 10 years or so I would have laid a $100 bill on the table it would have spit out 420 to MAYBE 430. I would have been 99% certain...before the trigger was pulled that is.

Got to say, based on my eyeballs why would you even THINK about another cylinder head. I hate to say it but christ, what a sweet running engine that makes a PILE of power with so simple a short block.

This engine is also getting the new FAST Easy EFI conversion. Had that installed this afternoon but ran out of time to run it for much more than 10 minutes. This system does fuel only, no spark control, and AUTOMATICALLY adjusts the fueling to meet your target A/F ratios, unlike some of the other easy to bolt on EFI systems. Have to say, in the few minutes we had the engine running it works as well as the AFR heads perform, fantastic. The auto tune is extremely fast. Should have full testing on the EFI done later this coming week.

2. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

Sweet! Have to love the AFR's! I know I do and I've just got an OLD set of 220's.

3. 79HumbleBee

79HumbleBee Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

thats pretty sick, i may have to look into that for my 355.

4. onebad82z

onebad82z Veteran Member

I couldn't be any happier with them... here's my experience going from old 195s to the elim's and a solid cam. I know Desktop Dyno has spit out nearly 500 for mine, but I take that with a very small grain of salt.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153088

5. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I owned an old set of AFR 190's and spent lots of bucks porting them way back. Done other motors with AFR's and as the price rose the bang for the buck got out of whack, given other options coming on the market. The eliminators though put them on a whole different planet compared to the old castings. Very impressed with them.

6. 79HumbleBee

i wonder what kind of difference i would see in mine. im sittin around 420 now. any guesses?

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I can not accurately express my opinion of that world product head on a public family oriented website. It would be apples and footballs comparision is all I can say.

8. 79HumbleBee

lol, kk. i will look at a desktop dyno when i get home and try to see what i may expect to gain.

9. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Hey now I went 11.01 with a 355 and hand ported by me sportsman II heads on an easy 5000 rpm shift point and bone stock 12" GM converter and completely untuned. Would have been a low 10 second engine had I not rolled the car that pass :( . It was a break in pass on the fresh engine.

10. 79HumbleBee

nitrous? blower?