So..Do AFR's Eliminators REALLY make power?? Look here.

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Rick WI, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

Cmitchell just went 11.7's with a full weight street car, stock suspension, 3.73 gear and 355 ci 10.8:1 or so and AFR 195's, Im a believer myself! He has no carb or timing or shifting tuning yet either!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. DENALI

DENALI Veteran Member

....in the 1/8th.....

3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

All I can say is I've seen them on the flow bench stock, ported by our guy that did, and still does, TRD Nascar truck heads, and on the dyno stock and fully worked. They just didn't perform at all compared to Brodix, Dart, Edelbrock and I've seen nothing that performed like this AFR head in a 23 degree casting. It would take a ton of digging in an old computer hard drive to find the flow data on the set of Sportsmans we had fully, and I mean every trick in the book, ported heads. But after 1500 in work they were still very, very average. Plus you just can't get around the old fashioned combustion chamber. On that engine, which was a dirt modified 408 we junked that head, bolted on a Dart Platnium head out of the box and it made a ton more power. Those had the chambers touched up and contoured and a bit of bowl work.

Without a doubt this is one data point for us with this head but we have done lots of 355's on the dyno over 10 years and at other dyno shops 6 years prior to that. Like I said, this was by far the most impressive on our equipment we have seen.

What I'd like to see is a typical 408 build that goes out the shop with the AFR 230 runner head. Plus a few more 350 and 383 combos.

4. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

There will be a 408 AFR elim under my hood this year

5. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

In the 1/4 and N/A

14:1 Ross pistons
    ported sportsman II's
    Eagle H beam 6" rods
    Factory forged crank
    Weiand single plane intake
    Lunati solid roller .635/.655 lift and short duration
    K-Motion spring, locks and retainers
    Harland sharp roller rockers 1.5
    comp cams stud girdle

By no means am I saying sportsman II's are great heads but they certainly are not what I would call "bad" heads. I run Brodix Track 1's on my 383 in my camaro.

Oh should also mention my friend just went 11.80 with his sportsman II headed 406 in a S-10 blazer short shifting, not enough converter and 3.08 gears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. scool10

scool10 Member

got a set of 195 65cc competition street eliminators waitin to go on my flat top 406

7. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I went 11.62 with sportsmans on an 11.57:1 pump gas 355ci in a 3500lb (with me) street car but there is still no comparison between the 2, imagine what your same engine woulda run with AFR's!

8. onebad82z

onebad82z Veteran Member

I am guessing I was around that same number crank hp with my old heads... 1999-2000 year 195's (AFR) and Comp XE 274 cam. Only change was swapping to 2008 195 Eliminators, a solid lifter cam, and 1.6 intake rockers. Now the cam is bigger in lift but duration (if you subtract the usual 8 degrees to be comparable to my old hydraulic) is not much bigger at all. Tony Mamo had this to say as I was convinced the gains I noticed was from the cam. I kinda figured I already had great heads on the car and swapping to the newest version couldn't make that MUCH of a difference. Tony disagrees...

"You likely saw an equal or greater gain from the heads....LOL

Although a mechanical solid versus an older hyd. grind will certainly want to scream higher upstairs as well, both additions (better heads, better cam) will have the most effect in the upper portion of the curve but the same size heads with alot more flow (aka Elims versus or former product) will also add response to the entire curve as you experienced in addition to more power across the entire curve.

Look on our website for a comparison between old 195 heads and the new Elims....its a huge difference with no other changes (and in your case you added superior valve control with the addition of a mechanical cam).

Not trying to discredit the cam swap, just put things in better perspective for the guys not in the know expecting similar results from just a cam swap.

You likely picked up 60-70 peak HP from the swap of both and easily 100+ (literally) at 6500+.....the car should feel notably faster which the tone of your post certainly validates.

Cheers man.....enjoy the new combo!

-Tony"

So if I picked up "60-70 peak HP from the swap of both and easily 100+ (literally) at 6500+".. imagine what you may gain as Rick WI says your heads are not all that great! I bet it shocks the $hit outta ya! I know I still can't believe what it did for my car! Tonys claims put me right around what Rick WI saw out of that 355 on the dyno!

9. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

I know you arent kidding! That was one nasty little 355. Now for my Brodix heads on my current 383 I wouldnt waste the money to swap to the AFR heads. Not for the very little I MIGHT gain. :D

10. 79HumbleBee

79HumbleBee Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

so anyone got any opinions on what a good set of AFRs would be if i had say bout 15-1700 to spend on em? not really sure how to read head specs.