So how good are the Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) guys?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 2ndOwner78, Jun 3, 2020.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I Know several guys. Some are outstanding and some peck the crap out of your panel. The damage shown is never going to to be pushed by a Dent Guy. That is what a body man can fix.

2ndOwner78 likes this.
  2. 2ndOwner78

2ndOwner78 Member

Oh, none taken at all.

That seems to be the consensus, that's what I was looking for.

I have not had great luck myself here in the land of "10 Thousand Rust Buckets". Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Any suggestions for a good source?

In the end it's clear that PDR isn't the option for the fender. I'll probably be going with a more traditional repair on my original fender. I'm the second owner of my car and it was never driven in the winter. (Disclaimer - except for the time 2 years ago when I moved it to a new storage location after an overnight November snow fall, but there was no salt put down.) Ever used fender I've seen has some sort of rust issue to deal with before it would be ready for new paint. I'd much rather go through the dent repair process of my completely rust free fender than deal with a corrosion issue. Maybe NOS, but I have not tracked any down........and not sure on the price of those.

Thanks again for all the input ya'll!!

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

They are called Dent Removers for a reason. Not Crash Repairs.
    I had a DPR work on my black dually which got caught in a hail storm this past April. Pea size hail but I thought the windshield was coming in on my lap. LOL. Over 100 dents on the hood, fenders and doors. Now no one can even tell it had hail damage. But not all DPR guys are created equal. Get references.

Dentguy and 2ndOwner78 like this.
  4. Bamaro

Bamaro Veteran Member

They are OK but they have their limits and I'm afraid yours passed it.

5. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

I’m a big believer in PDR when it’s done by someone who knows what they are doing. I’ve used it and seen great results. I think your repair is beyond what PDR can do though. Good luck!

6. Dentguy

Dentguy Veteran Member

I agree with the two post above me... I would decline this ... unless i was gonna help a body shop get it closer to use less filler

2ndOwner78, xten and bodymanbill like this.
  7. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

8. Tsnook12

Tsnook12 New Member

I am fairly new to the forums, but Dent- less paint repair has a place, some are real good but that's a pretty hard hit for that type of repair. Do not discount those 1980s paint jobs. I have one on my 71. Owned my camaro since 1978. This was a daily driver for many years before it went into restoration mode.