So...how's this for the Cali smog test?

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by BayAreaCamaro, Aug 1, 2006.

1. BayAreaCamaro

BayAreaCamaro Member

Well, my Camaro went through the dreaded California "test only" smog check today. My dad took it in for me since I'm on the other side of the country now. Here are the results...
    15 mph HC max 196, measured 24
    25 mph HC max 163, measured 21

15 mph CO max 1.27, measured 0.00
    25 mph CO max 1.07, measured 0.01

15 mph NOX max 1295, measured 411
    25 mph NOX max 1155, measured 338

What do you think? I'm very impressed with my car...it has NEVER let me down.:bowtie: It has a 2001 Goodwrench 350 crate motor with a mild Crane cam and an Edelbrock Performer intake...that's it. No headers, stock y-pipe, new hi flow cat, and a Flowmaster catback. All smog equipment is intact.:eek:

2. Little Naples

Little Naples Veteran Member

Very cool!......I'm getting a new Goodwrench 350 for my '75 in a few weeks....also getting a GM performance mild cam and Edelbrock performer intake....I'm leaving all the smog equipment intact even though I don't have to get it smogged anymore....also have a free flow cat and Flowmaster, 3.08 gears.....what's the performance like on your car?....what kind of milage do you get?....I'm going to leave the original Q-jet....what carb are you running?

3. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

My '77 ran like that for a while. The only reason it didn't pass smog was because of the stupid visual. My headers lacking the EFE heat riser valve caused it to fail. I should be fixing that soon now. I just need to get an engine back in it.

As for performance, Naples, my car ran pretty strong. I had 2.56 gears and 275/60-15's out back though, so my mileage was very good. Damn near to the tune of 18-20 mpg on the highway with a Q-Jet. It also, without me knowing, had an Isky 262 Supercam in it. Yeah, it was nice.

4. BayAreaCamaro

BayAreaCamaro Member

I have the Q-jet and 3.08 gears too. The Q-jet is a rebuilt piece from Recarbco in Pittsburg, CA. It was tuned pretty good from Recarbco...I only had to adjust the idle and do other small adjustments. I took my car to Infineon raceway back in March 2003 (about a month before I left for the Air Force) and the best time I got was 16.3 @ 83 MPH. Pretty funny if you ask me but I don't care because my car is a looker, not a performer. The mileage is about 16 MPG on a city tank. I think it got up to 20 MPG on a highway tank.

5. Ceth

Ceth Veteran Member

I am selling an edelbrock intake #3701 with EGR if ya need little naples. Never been used, still in box with intake gasket and some other stuff. Erm, not to hijack.

6. Little Naples

Little Naples Veteran Member

Thanks Ceth, but I've already got one.

7. grey_shirt

grey_shirt Veteran Member

out of curiosity what shop did you take it to?

the one i used to get smogged at got shut down for "clean caring", lol thry charged me for a $200 "egr repair" and the number changed dramaticly lol.