So it begins a 1980 Camaro RS

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 73Z L92, Dec 24, 2020.

1. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

Couple weeks ago a 1980 Camaro RS followed me home. The really high HP model with the 229 cube V6 and floor 3 speed shifter. Totally rust free 28000 one owner car. It was his dad's car. He wanted to sell it to a real hot rodder not a flipper. We met with me dragging a trailer and it was better than described. Gave him a bank check after we transfer the title. A few nicks and minor dents. Interior is perfect. All plastic is like new. Front and rear bumper are really nice. Hood has some crazing.
    It's going to be my first "barn find" project. No new paint. But complete LS swap. L92 with 4L60E swap. New and front and rear suspension. All aftermarket.
    I will keep everyone updated.

Attached Files:

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Unusual looking car, never seen one like this. Looks pretty cherry and a good candidate for the upgrades for sure. Non-tinted windows? Be interesting to put that car on a scale, see how much it weighs with that drivetrain.

3. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

No tinted windows. Only options are rear window defrost and AM/FM cassette and they both still work.
    Can't weigh it because I have most of the front sheet metal off the car already. The son of the previous owner gave me the window sticker, original sales receipt, sales brochure and owners manual. The dad paid $7400 out the door in 1980.

Attached Files:

75Maro likes this.
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I looked at a blue 80 RS here in MN about a decade ago.

I think that one had a 305 and wasn’t nearly as clean looking as this one.

80 was the last year of the RS model and you just don’t see them with the original paint scheme any more.

I would keep the paint just the way it sits because of the rarity.

Sounds like you have a very solid car for a project. :cool:

Good luck with the engine/trans swap and keep this thread updated.

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress on this one!

Patstuff28 likes this.
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you find a build sheet in it... It will have front/rear weight listed.

If it’s a Van Nuys built car, they usually have a couple of them.

Behind the rear seat, under the driver’s seat and on top of the gas tank are typical places to find them.

6. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I did find the build sheet behind the rear seat. It was a Van Nuys build. It's the first project I will keep the original paint. I may repaint the hood but not this winter. Engine/trans is out in the next few days so I can sand blast the sub frame and all misc parts. I was a line tech at a Chev dealership from 1979-1981 and the 229 CI V6 engine was a total piece of junk.
    I did a 79 Camaro LS swap and a 73 Camaro LS swap a number of years ago so I'm trying to remember all the details of the previous swaps. With any luck it will be at the Oreillys car in St.Paul in July 2021.I look forward to seeing everyone next summer.
    I will keep posting.

7. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

The Van Nuys 80 RS had the body color door mirrors while Norwood was black. I had a Van Nuys and a Norwood 80 RS. Both of mine were red/black cars. I still have the Norwood 80 RS w/black mirrors.

8. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

So as I'm disassembling the front of the car I noticed that none of the front suspension bolts/nuts have castellated nuts with cotter pins. Is that typical? Makes me a bit nervous. On my other 2 gen Camaro LS swaps they had cotter pins to prevent the nuts from backing out.

9. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

The V6/3 speed lump is out. Monday it's on it's way to the local salvage yard. I am posting for sale the clutch linkage in the for sale area.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I like the white/opal combo.