So, it's retirement season at my employer......

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Nov 29, 2018.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Seems like large employers are digging for any way to pinch a penny anymore. My wife has worked for the same hospital for 10 years this past October (that has been bought out 3 times since the original company, and interviewed for her job 4 times) . On her anniversary, they informed her that she only has 6 1/2 years there, because the first company didn't count toward her seniority. She was due a healthy raise and an additional 60 hrs of PTO per year. She was really looking forward to that. But on the other hand, she has a frozen 403B from the first company that was bought out. Can't touch it till she's 59 1/2 because she's "still an employee", and "still active". Can't roll it over to their new retirement. So which is it? Has she been an employee and still active for 10 years or not? I think that's a contradiction in terms. Sounds like she's been an employee for 10 years to me. BTW, she's the only one in a system of thousands of employees this pertains to. Bet some bean counter got an "attaboy" for that.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

First one was a major company that closed it's used car dealers. I found out my wife was pregnant with my first son three days earlier. The second was a smaller company trying not to go bankrupt and I had just moved from California to Arizona four months prior. Timing sucked both times. Jobs are ussually adime a do
    Sounds about right anymore.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

They ARE going to miss me when I retire. I've been there for 32 years.
    I like my job and enjoy providing my services to our teams who use this stuff.
    The teams we support always beg me to handle changes in the system.

There are only two people doing my job and the other one is pretty much clueless as to how this middleware infrastructure works.
    He spends much of his time making personal phone calls, surfing the net and looking for other jobs.
    (Or complaining I did something wrong or inefficiently when he has no idea how to do the work himself. :crazy: )

He was recently made our Team Leader because he couldn't follow instructions.

I took the heat because a huge deadline was missed due to him modifying our team project plan, priorities and pushing a project out a year beyond the deadline.

Personally, I wish he WOULD find another job so I could train someone who actually wants to do the work.
    (He's had 7 different jobs in the past 15 years.)

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are there others that straddled all three company changes? If so, I'd speak to someone, try to sort it out, but if not, file a formal complaint.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

No, she is the only one that remained from the first company she worked for. Lot of the positions were redundant, so those were eliminated. One lady was given 15 minutes to gather her personal effects and was walked to her car by two armed guards. She had 28 years there. My wife talked to HR, and they pretty much said that's just the way it is. This isn't over yet, not as far as I'm concerned.

6. jaymancds

jaymancds Veteran Member

You could talk with a business attorney just to see if there is any legal action you could take. She cannot be both an employee for 10, and not and employee for 10. I'm no lawyer, but I believe that could be business fraud.

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

I felt the same way. Can't have it both ways.

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

[​IMG]

xten likes this.
  9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Loyalty from employers and employees has diminished greatly. Those companies where loyalty goes both ways are so much better to work for and they seem to survive through every economic change.

1972_Z-28 likes this.
  10. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

I learned a long time ago, that I am a replaceable cog or gear in a giant machine called county govt. I am a box on a line up that has a circle put in in it everyday I am here and there are so many circles that are supposed to on duty. When I leave (JAN 30th last day worked, JAN 31st First day of retirement) another cog or gear, another circle, will fill my opening on the man power line-up and I will fade away in the minds and memories of all the people I have worked with, for the last 32 years.

32 years of rotating 12 hour shifts, 32 years of working in every weather condition and seeing, smelling and hearing things I would much rather forget.

I'm lucky, I fell under the 3% at 50 formula, so I am set. Sadly most of my friends never made it to 50 and those who did, most died before the age of 55.

Dave Nelson likes this.