So who has one of these POS GM vehicles?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by z28dug, Jan 27, 2009.

1. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

WTH...can't steer and use the brakes at the same time...wow what a useful design....

Apparently there are a number of GM Trucks and SUVs that, at times, simply can't be steered while you are breaking. Many drivers were finding that when they were trying to park or navigate in tight spaces, the power steering would lock up.

How big a deal is this? It was big enough for Sgt. Joe Vasquez, the Utah Highway patrol's safety inspection program manager, to issue a warning after investigating a 2006 GMC Sierra Dura Max Diesel with the problem. "We felt it was a safety hazard," said Sgt. Joe Vasquez. It took jurors one hour in Wisconsin to find General Motors liable for $120,000 in compensatory damages because a GMC pickup truck had steering that would just lock up.

GM has called this just a natural characteristic. An internal company bulletin shows that the Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado Classic; GMC Sierra Classic and Yukon; Cadillac Escalade; and Hummer H2 are at risk for the steering lock-ups. The problems affect various model years dating back to 1999.

Many consumers are mad because they had no warning of these problems and for the most part are having their complaints ignored. Next time you see an advertisement for one of these trucks ask yourself what happens when it needs to be steered.

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/1146712.html

2. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have had 2 2006 duramax's and havent had any issues with the steering/braking system.

It isnt locking up when running down the road either, it is only in no movement type situations! More or less it makes it function like a manual steering vehicle until you let off the brakes or give it some gas!

I believe all 2001 up 3/4 ton and heavier vehicles use a hydraboost brake booster so if this was such a huge problem it would be very well known by now!

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

GM's idea for an upper body fitness plan? :screwup:

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Must have been idling really low and the PS pump wasn't making enough pressure to supply the steering and the brakes at the same time?

5. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

My 2001 Silverado never had a brake or steering problem.

6. Darryl73

Darryl73 Veteran Member

My business and my family have owned several DuraMax's and Silverados with never having had a problem like this (we tow trailers with up to 15,000lbs on them constantly).... I prefer the Silverado DuraMax ride over the Dodge's and the handling and power over the Ford PowerStroke.
    Quality has always been good.

7. Brian79Z

Brian79Z Veteran Member Gold Member

I've heard of this before.. Turns out that the only time it would bind up is if the idiot driving would have it in 4wheel lock, and tried to turn sharply on a dry surface.

8. TooLateVTEC

TooLateVTEC Veteran Member

I was thinking the same thing...

My dad has an 05 duramax that we pull our enclosed trailer with the race car, tool box,generator, etc. etc. and havent had any problems.

Someone tell the original poster to INSERT his FOOT into MOUTH now...

Thanks,
    Mngmnt.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I hear that next year's model will have even more new features. The new GM vehicles will no longer come with steering wheels or seats. They are designed for customers who have lost their a$$ and don't know which way to turn.:confused:

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm with you guys, I have driven trucks with hydraboost since 88, I only experienced one moment of concern, but that was when the motor stalled in my 88 crewcab and I was still moving pretty good while I was trying to turn into my driveway, naturally applying brakes and steering at the same time without any pressure from the PS pump made steering and braking tough due to the motor not running....just a brief moment of panic, but I made it, just wasn't expecting it.