Sold the House...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, Aug 28, 2021.

1. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well at least the welcome sign isnt Purple ;) ... yup on the Tamarack... I have actually transplanted some into our woods, The joys of living near a tamarack swamp

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Purple has been my favorite color since before the Vikings existed. I've given up on the NFL since last year. Only watched one NFL game all year - the SB - to see Tom Brady (the real GOAT) win #7.

We used tamarack in our sunroom to give us a little bit of "home" of northern MN in our southern MN home (no tamaracks around down here). We'll probably put some tamarack in the new home is WI too.

Our sunroom addition while under construction:

Sun Room 1 DSC_0714_edited-1.jpg

3. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Congratulations and wish the best. It looks like a lot of work and I don't know how you all can do that. I am moving down to N.C., 14 hour drive South, and it is overwhelming with just myself moving. It is admirable that you can do all that.

tom3 likes this.
  4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I agree with that. I don't think we could even move after 50 years of marriage. I remember when first married we moved a couple times, wife and her sisters moved it all except my stereo. Nobody touched that! Sure a much simpler time.

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Between 1972 and 1985, I moved 13 times. We've been in our current house nearly 16 years (the day we close will be 16 years on the dot), so it's time to move again...

Of those 13 moves, my wife and daughter were with me on 10 of them.

Six years in the military (1972 - 78) during that time was part of the reason...

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Congrats Champ, only been to that part of the country one time a couple years ago. A good friend of my dads retired just up stream of where you are going, he has a nice place on the mississippi in kellogg MN. Beautiful country when I was up there in late august but not sure i could deal with the winters up there and I prefer cold weather over the heat.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Thanks Blue...

If you prefer cold to heat, the relatively mild winters along the Mississippi between MN and WI should be perfect for you.

It's not like northern MN where I'm from where winter comes 3 weeks earlier and spring comes 3 weeks later, not to mention the winter temps being much colder. Where I grew up the average high in January is 14 and the average low is -10 below. La Crosse average is 26 high and 12 degrees for the low.

I had a morning paper route as a kid and I experienced that 22 degree average difference in the early morning hours every day. Plenty of days -40 and a few -50 days. Coldest ever was -64 one January day - and I ain't talking wind chill...:eek:

8. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah I like cold but single digits overnight are about as low as we go down here and that is cold enough. I must say I did love getting up in the morning and setting out on his screened in porch w/ temps in the upper 50's in August though. We can only dream of that in STL area.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

This will be the view from our kitchen, screen porch and rear porch looking back at the woods...

Lot Photo.jpg

Looking forward to watching the sun rise in the morning over the wooded backdrop!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Da-bigguy likes this.
  10. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Wow! I never thought I moved as many times as I have over the last 35 years.

Clifton Park NY to Johnsonville NY (1984/85)
    Then off to Troy NY (1985/1988)
    Back to Clifton Park (1988/2012) Same house; hated it.
    Back to Troy NY (2012/2013)
    Off to New Smyrna Beach Florida (2013/2018) Hated that place too.
    Then to Daytona (2018/2019) Lived right near Da_Raabi.
    Then to Gansevoort NY (Right near Saratoga) from 2019 until I'm dust in the wind.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021